1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Fergus Falls, Minn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Fergus Falls Daily Journal, an award-winning 8,000 circulation newspaper in the heart of west central Minnesota’s lakes country, seeks an entry-level sports editor. This is the perfect job for a sports reporter looking to make the jump to an editor at a small daily. Experience with Quark Xpress is a necessity, as is the ability to communicate with coaches, write game stories and sports features and gather game statistics such as box scores. This is a great opportunity to live and work in a community full of outdoor recreational opportunities. If this is a challenge that interests you send a cover letter, resume and clips to Jeff Hage, managing editor, The Daily Journal, 914 E. Channing Ave., Fergus Falls, Minn. 56537 or by email to jeff.hage@fergusfallsjournal.com.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This job comes open a lot, I think.

And I can only assume they have good judgment, because I didn't get anywhere with it last time I was looking.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How did Fergus fall?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know much about the paper itself, but I know about the area. PM me with info. You're about 50 miles from Fargo, but Fergus has a Target, which is a big draw in my wife's eyes.

One main high school and a juco, with smaller high schools nearby. Cost of living is low.

5. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

This sounds like a decent gig. Six high schools and a JUCO in its readership, and just a short interstate drive to an international airport.

The only con is the space. 1.5 pages a day for the sports section.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Fergus Falls is the only high school that matters and I don't see too many bylines in sports.

While the area is nice, I wouldn't extol the virtues of the Fargo airport. Yes, it's an international airport, but so is Minot, N.D. and Yuma, Ariz.

With only six gates and flights to three cities (two more destinations in the next month), you're going to be changing planes somewhere.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, been to the Fargo airport, back in 07 when it was under construction/expansion. About par for the course for a city of its size. Nothing elaborate to write home about. Had to change planes in Minneapolis (with the layover from hell). So, if I'm in Fergus Falls and wanting to go someplace, I figure it's quicker, cheaper and easier to drive to Minneapolis rather than drive to Fargo, fly to Minneapolis and change planes.

8. You say that like changing planes is a bad thing.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Whatever floats your boat. I avoid airports like the plague these days.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's a Boone Paper. Pay's gonna be very low.

Draft saved Draft deleted