1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Fayetteville, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I don't know many SEs [or hell, Executive Editor (thanks fmr)] who would get on here to defend his/her own staffer, let alone a potential staffer.

Thanks for being an upstanding guy, Brian.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

And Brian, especially, is a trendsetter. .. He's the EE!

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Dark Helmet, this is a little late but ... you're hired!

4. boots

boots New Member

This is all wrong. If BP gets the job, some ahole is going to say its because of the power of SportsJournalists.com. If he doesn't, SportsJournalists.com will be blamed. This is one reason why so many people are frowning on the business.
    Wake up people. Spewing shit that you don't know about can be dangerous.
    Thanks for your cooperation in the matter.
    -boots

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I now know something else about the Fayetteville Observer. It has a stand-up EE. 8)

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've told people in the past who have e-mailed or PMed me after getting ripped to sit tight, it might be the best thing that happened. Most people see the anonymous rip jobs for what they are and some even use them as a reason to take a closer look at the person in question. If the person's work stands up to such scrutiny - and it usually does - he or she is better off because of it.

There's a story I've told before and will tell again someday about the kid who was fried on the previous version of the board and my later experience with the same kid - who was pretty much the exact opposite of how he was portrayed in the rip jobs. His name remains in my file of people to look up if I ever get in a position to make the calls.

Brian, thanks for coming by. Seriously.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That dixiehack is a no-talent assclown.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You're hired.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And Dixiehack must be in Chris Jericho's band ...

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

brian, hats off to you. that's the best thing i've read all day.

but this post is more for BP ... what the hell is up with this quote pal? "He put together a powerpoint presentation ..."

powerpoint. jesus. a freakin' powerpoint presentation? brian just might of done you more harm than good for raising the bar in front of the rest of us.

<paging mr. gillooly. paging one mr. jeff gillooly. please call mr. petty>

seriously though, good luck to you BP. you've taken all this like an f'in stud.

11. bp6316

bp6316 Member

HA! As I put on the very first slide of said presentation....This is what insomnia will do for you!

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, i guess powerpoint one ups me passing out deep-fried snickers bars when i show up at an interview.

Draft saved Draft deleted