1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Fayetteville, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Brandon Plotnick is the ASE in Bakersfield. He's been there for almost four years.

2. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Ah, nothing like a nice bunch of rumors flying about me to make me smile :)

This is like the telephone game where a story gets told so many times that the details begin to get twisted.

Obviously I'm outing myself here (but it's not a big surprise, people know me...and I don't care). But figured you guys deserve the real explanation so the story doesn't turn into me stealing a car in Raleigh and driving in illegal immigrants or something....

My birthday was last week. License renewed by Internet several days before (I love that California lets you do that). Printed out confirmation letter that ALLOWS me to drive and brought that to N.C. with me. SO my ducks were in a row and I wasn't driving anywhere illegally. (Actual new license arrived at my house in California that day, but that didn't really help.) But it turns out the rental car company of choice will not allow the confirmation letter as a form of ID and it's because of problems they had in the past with people faking those I guess. Makes sense.

So I had a couple options for getting to Fayetteville from Raleigh and the easiest way was to take the Greyhound so nobody had to drive up to Raleigh to get me. I will make it clear that everyone in management in Fayetteville was nothing but great about the situation. I was quite pleased with my somewhat rushed visit.

But thanks for spreading some rumors guys! Always nice to be a part of them. Any other details I need to spell out?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You getting the job?

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

BP,

Best of luck if you want/get the Fayettenam gig.

One of my homeboys from Texas, Greg Barnes, is the managing editor, I believe.

Has been there since Christ was a corporal, 'cept for a brief business venture.

Good people. Smart, resourceful.

And yes I've experienced South of the Border my own self.

I didn't see anybody squeal like a pig, but it's everything it's cranked up to be.

5. dark_helmet

dark_helmet New Member

for any future candidates to get interviewed for this one, i'll pick you up at the airport and get you to the interview as long as you give me a job if you get the gig. seriously, ill wear a goofy hat, carry a cardboard sign with your name on it and everything.

6. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Damnit helmet! Where were you Thursday?! :)

Thanks for the wishes Muscatel. They did seem like good people there. Aside from the rental car place, everyone I met was great.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, bp, just wanted to let you know the line about getting arrested for driving with an expired license was just that -- a line -- since I don't know you from Adam (though I'm thinking I could probably tell you from Eve). Probably should have added a smiley. ;D Never let it be said I missed an opoortunity to chase a cheap laugh at anyone's expense (even my own).

Anyway, good luck with the job. And don't try to cram too many illegal immigrants into that stolen car. ;D (See, I've learned).

8. bp6316

bp6316 Member

No worries. I took it as a laugh. Made the same mistake as you and forgot to put the smiley on it!

And I've learned that U-Haul trucks are much better equipped for the immigrant haul! ;D

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

BP:
    From one ASE to another, you get kudos from me for handling the posted outing on you. For someone to go on this site and use it to kick somebody, when they don't know all the faccts, stinks to high heaven. I hope you get the job. Hoo-ah!

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There's an internal candidate who ought to get that job and deserves it, not some young kid who would be the boss of people old enough to be his father. I know I'm going to get some heat for this post but that's how I feel and I'm entitled to my opinion. And, no, I'm not the internal candidate.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

douche bag. not like he got busted for a dui and happened to have a little herb in his pocket. fuck, lighten up on the guy.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Why? Guy explained his situation and apparently everything is fine. As for my original post, I don't see why I would need to take it back. I'm guessing part of being an SE is dealing with shit that doesn't go your way. From the sounds of things, he did the best he could -- though just doing the best you can sometimes gets you fired.

And I'll still suggest that having to bus in because of a fuckup with the "rental car company of choice" isn't the first impression I'd want to make. That's just me being honest, not trying to kick a guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted