1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Fayetteville, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dennis Hall, May 23, 2008.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I know that they have a much larger staff than a normal paper its size. They have close to about 100 people in the newsroom. They are one of the few papers that are doing well (as well as a paper can do in these times), probably because they are a family-owned newspaper.

2. Dennis Hall

Dennis Hall New Member

Some answers:

We have 10 people in Sports, not counting me. We've been without a sports editor since last year, and now our ASE (Matt Tabeek) has taken a position on the copy desk as assistant news editor. So we need someone who can do some of what each of those guys was doing.

I'm handling both sports and new media, so I can't spend more than half my time on sports. We need someone who can run the desk at night and also work with writers and plan coverage. We have six writers, so I'll probably have three report to the sports editor and have three report to me. (That's still to be determined.)

I don't know the exact salary range. I'll worry about that once I see some resumes.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

So, basically you're looking for a News Editor.
    Spade=Spade

4. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Moddy's right. I'm in Greensboro, but no longer in Sports.

True story: Back in 1995, right after I got hired by Greensboro, I got a rejection letter from the Fayetteville paper. That was my only encounter with the Fayetteville paper, which by reputation does a very good job with its Sports section.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I concur with the Fayetteville paper's rep ... a place I was in the SE running for back in the day before withdrawing my name. A quality paper, albeit surrounded by Fort Bragg.

rb

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

so, are they trying to fill the SE spot and the ASE spot, or will one person fill both duties considering the climate of things in our profession?

7. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

A good guy in the business will be filling this job.
    Congratulations Todd.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Um, Todd who?

Why do people allude to things, and make references to things -- things that are apparently decided to a secure enough extent that people will mention it on the board -- but do it with no explanation or clarification?

If it is too early to talk about with certainty, or you're not sure the person would want the situation announced, then why bring it up?

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Todd Adams got the gig and started a couple of weeks ago.
    Big ups to Todd.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Where was Todd's last gig?

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

He was the SE in Aurora (Ill.) i believe. But he also just piled up a bunch of APSE awards.

12. Wait a second. Are you saying awards = new jobs? I thought awards were worthless. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted