1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Farmington, NM

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1560698

Company: The Daily Times
    Position:
    Seeking sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $30,000 to $35,000
    Ad Expires:
    March 4, 2014
    Job ID: 1560698

Description:

The Daily Times, a 19,000 circulation, daily newspaper in Farmington, New Mexico, is looking for a full-time sports editor who wants to join a dynamic newsroom.

The sports editor is in charge of the two-person department and reports directly to the city editor and managing editor.

This person will lead the paper's coverage of the seven local high schools and write features about local athletes and their endeavors. Coverage in the summer centers on summer league baseball and the annual Connie Mack World Series, a 10-team amateur tournament featuring talented baseball players from North America and Puerto Rico.

Main responsibilities outside of reporting include managing the schedule and assigning stories to the sports reporter, working with the design team and leading conference calls to discuss the daily budget and working on special sections.

The qualified candidate must be able to report and edit on tight deadlines. Knowledge of outdoors activities, such as fishing and mountain biking is also a plus.

A bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism or a related field, is required.

Email cover letter, resume, clips and other pertinent information to jobs@daily-times.com.

The Daily Times is a daily newspaper in Farmington, which is located in the Four Corners. The staff covers the Four Corners and San Juan County, including Farmington, Aztec and Bloomfield, and the Northern Agency of the Navajo Nation. The New Mexico Press Association awarded The Daily Times first place for best news coverage in 2013.

The Daily Times is owned by Digital First Media, which offers a competitive salary, a benefits package that includes health/dental/optical plans and an opportunity for outstanding growth potential.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Know the area. It's remote, but you're 45 minutes to an hour from Durango, which is quite remote by Colorado standards, and lots of outstanding outdoors activities. Seems to be a revolving door for this and other openings there.

3. gamcelaya

gamcelaya New Member

My name is Gilbert Antonio Celaya, and I am writing in response to this job posting. Please let me know to whom I can send my resume and other possible information to. My email is gamcelaya@gmail.com. Thank you.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Email cover letter, resume, clips and other pertinent information to jobs@daily-times.com.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Seriously? You want to be a journalist and you're asking where to send your info?

That's not a good start to your reporting career. A good reporter would find out that info, rather than asking someone else to find it for them.

Of course, all the pertinent info was listed in the ad, which also brings reading comprehension into question.

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Bingo. My reaction to poor Senor Celaya was, "Don't even bother applying, dude."

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's been a couple of times, when there's been an opening at our sister weeklies, potential candidates have sent their resume and clips/links to me, instead of the other paper. I've returned them with a note: "I'm with the Springfield Bugle. The opening is at the Shelbyville Gazette." Do I forward them to the folks at the Gazette? No. If someone wants to be a reporter, they've got to know where to send their info. Look it up.

8. mrudi19

mrudi19 Member

I don't work for the Daily News, but I work for the same company and used to work in New Mexico. Layout for the Daily Times and all TNMNP papers are done in El Paso. But as SE, you'll probably have to coordinate with the designers on where to put stuff. Daily Times is a solid product and seems like it's pretty healthy too. They have a lot of ads and have pretty good size sections. As far as the sports up there, Farmington area schools are usually in the state title hunt in almost every sport every year. Farmington High football won the state title this past fall and Aztec football won state a few years ago. Farmington High boys soccer is pretty sold as well. But of course, baseball is huge in Farmington. The two Farmington schools won the state title in baseball every year from 2005-2012, except for 2009.

9. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Looks like this was a promotion
    Sports Reporter job opened up on jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1572321

Company: The Daily Times
    Position:
    Looking for a full-time sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    April 22, 2014
    Job ID: 1572321

Description:

The Daily Times, a 19,000 circulation, daily newspaper in Farmington, New Mexico, is looking for a full-time sports reporter.

The sports reporter is part of a two-person department and reports directly to the sports editor.

This person will help with the paper's coverage of the seven local high schools and write features about local athletes and their endeavors. Coverage in the summer centers on summer league baseball and the annual Connie Mack World Series, a 10-team amateur tournament featuring talented baseball players from North America and Puerto Rico.

Main responsibilities outside of reporting include working with the design team and writing for special sections.

The qualified candidate must be able to report and edit on tight deadlines. Knowledge of outdoors activities, such as fishing and mountain biking is also a plus.

Requirements:

Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism or related field.
    Strong reporting and writing skills.
    Familiarity with website management and social media.

The Daily Times is a daily newspaper in Farmington, which is located in the Four Corners. The staff covers the Four Corners and San Juan County, including Farmington, Aztec and Bloomfield, and the Northern Agency of the Navajo Nation. The New Mexico Press Association awarded The Daily Times first place for best news coverage in 2013.

The Daily Times is owned by Digital First Media, which offers a competitive salary, a benefits package that includes health/dental/optical plans and an opportunity for outstanding growth potential.

Draft saved Draft deleted