1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Fairbanks, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From JJobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1513783

Now here's a job for someone who loves the cold, and out in the middle of nowhere.

Company: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner
    Position:
    Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    August 27, 2013
    Job ID: 1513783

Description:

NCAA Division I ice hockey. Dog mushing. World Eskimo-Indian Olympics. More university sports. High school sports.

If you’re looking to add a twist to your sports journalism career, being the sports editor on the Last Frontier could be the job for you.

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner is looking for a sports editor to lead the way in coverage of our diverse mix of sports. And we we’re looking for someone who knows that sports, like news, needs to be presented online and in social media quickly and accurately.

E-mail a cover letter, resume and clips or links to Managing Editor Rod Boyce at editor@newsminer.com.

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Looks like it might be a two-man shop as the paper's website lists one sports ed and one sports reporter (who seems to be getting the bulk of the bylines).
    Keep in mind that living in Fairbanks is pretty expensive, partly due to the remoteness.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I can hopefully answer questions if you're interested. My first job out of college was at this paper. I'm sure there's been changes since I last darked its doors, but there's some pretty neat things to cover and chances to get clips here.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm just curious about one thing, amraeder ... having nearly taken a job at another Alaska newspaper myself years ago.

Is the high turnover in Fairbanks due more to the town (remoteness, cold, etc.) or the newspaper and its management/ownership?

5. amraeder

The N-M has a new ME since I was there, but I LOVED the paper. (Including the SE you'd be replacing with this gig). I got to do the stories I wanted. They treated you very well (for example, they, gasp, paid overtime and didn't make you feel bad taking vactation or sick days), and they're really, really good people. the remoteness/weather was the reason I left - I didn't like being so far from family and I didn't like the dark winters. But I still look back fondly on that shop.

The people I know who like living in Alaska have stayed at the paper.

(And I did know the current ME. He was the news editor when I was there and is a good guy).

All that said, they also had 3 writers and 1 editor for the sports staff when I was there, so things look leaner now. I still know people at the paper and should be able to get you answers if you're thinking of applying.

6. amraeder

Although I'll add, I'd prefer any questions come to me via PM. I don't know that I'll keep tabs on this tread. I almost never come to the job board.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Almost took a news job there a few years ago. Was very impressed with what I saw of the paper itself.

Biggest downside is that Fairbanks is a bit, um, isolated geographically. There are no short trips. Nonetheless, if my current family situation were different, I'd be all over this one.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I went to Fairbanks for a few days 10 years ago or so on a vacation and felt isolated -- and I was with family. Not to say it's a bad place, but, yeah, you're pretty isolated up there. And obviously the weather is brutal in the winter the mosquitoes are big in the summer (I was there at the summer solstice). Amr obviously has a better feel for this than me, and I was actually surprised the city felt "bigger' than I was expecting.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

At one former stop, whoever did the weather page had the job of challenging the rest of the desk to guess the weather forecast for the next day. As it was Florida, it was typically in a range of 90-94, with a low of 70-74, and thunderstorms. Not that hard. So we added the challenge of guessing the weather in Fairbanks, Alaska. Every now and then it would surprise us by being 6/-12 instead of -17/-28.

10. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Did they hire from within? It's a two-man shop and they just posted for a sports reporter.

11. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Just saw that. If so, that was the fastest hire in the universe.

12. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

It would also mean that everyone who bet on Guymon, OK lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted