1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Elk City, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by cowboy2001, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And writing 40 hours on your time card all the while, no doubt.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

We're dealing with that right now. I wish for the days of N.C. where softball was only one time of year and that time was spring. None of this fast pitch in the fall, slow pitch in the spring junk.

3. frowntown2000

frowntown2000 New Member

This job is open again, and I was wondering what people now thought of the paper. Judging from the comments a few years ago, the opinion of the job wasn't very high. However have things changed there, and would this be a good starting position for someone looking for work right out of college? It looks like they had a posting on indeed.com back in August for this spot as well.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Elk City Elks, baby. Gotta love that mascot.

5. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Looks like heaven in comparison to this gig -- which, if the bottom of the pay range listed is correct, will compensate the lucky hire with an hourly rate that is less than the federal minimum wage.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1452998

6. frowntown2000

frowntown2000 New Member

This is actually the listing for the current open position.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Any paper that expects the sports editor to work a 9-to-5 shift while still covering sports at night can go fuck themselves.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Not related to the job, but I went to Marine Corps boot camp with a guy from Elk City. His name was Redd (probably still is) and the drill instructor called his home town Elk Snort to mess with him. We all got a good laugh out of that. Aaah, good times. Feeling nostalgic now.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

First job out of college I was "expected" to be there at 8 a.m. to answer my calls then be there all day and also cover things at night and lay out the pages until 2 a.m. Luckily, I was under the employ of a few who understood and told those who were "expecting" (front desk, ad people, morons) me there all the time to go fly a kite.
    Ah the wonders of a small daily.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

A 20K circulation paper and the possible starting pay is $15K? The only reason that guy won't be bringing home less than $500 every paycheck is because Texas doesn't have income tax.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Dear Mr. Manning: Bite me.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yeah, that's just real tremendous.

Draft saved Draft deleted