1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Elk City, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by cowboy2001, Sep 28, 2009.

1. cowboy2001

cowboy2001 Member

City: Elk City, OK
    Newspaper: The Elk Citian
    Salary Range: Competitive/Negotiable

Job Description & Requirements: We are seeking a person to be responsible for the school sports coverage for a city of 12,800 plus the surrounding smaller schools. This person will be responsible for the writing and photography, page layout and editing for the entire sports section. This person will also be responsible for the maintenance and tracking of all relative schedules. The position will require exceptional time management skills and a true love and knowledge of high school sports.

Attributes required: Ability to write, not only straight-forward sports reports, but the ability to "see beyond the ball" and develop engaging, unique sports packages; Excellent photography skills - a portfolio of sprots photography will be requested with special emphasis on low-light photos such as night football games and basketball games; InDesign and Photoshop skills; Ability to design attractive and forward-leaning sports pages and packages; Ability to interact intelligently and respectfully with coaches, players and parents; Willingness to work hours required in the office as well as out in the field covering activities; Willingness to accept other, non-sports-related assignments if necessary; Neat personal appearance; Well-rounded sports knowledge beyond that of the average fan.
    : Solid news and feature writing skills; Photography skills; Ability to report accurately on everything from police and government activities to school activities and personal feature stories; A willingness to take on controversial topics; Ability to research and write several front page or feature stories each week; An imaginative, out-of-the-box approach to story packages and angles; Ability to interact well with the public and co-workers; Neat personal appearance; Willingness to relocate to Elk City and become a part of the community.

Contact: D. W. Manning, Publisher, The Elk Citian, 580-799-0925 (cell); 580-225-9400 (office); e-mail elkcitian@elkcitian.com. Visit our Website at www.elkcitian.com

2. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Boy. This one might come out to $2/hour.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, isn't this a job for a Sports Editor...hopefully those other duties are just limited summer work if anything.

4. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

"a portfolio of sprots photography"

I think I meet most of the requirements, but not sure about this one ...

5. Bulldog1998

Bulldog1998 New Member

The joys of being a "sprots" editor in a town about that size. Do the reporting, do the writing, do the photography, do the layout, do the editing, and figure out how to do it all by your lonesome. Good times.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And do news reporting as well since that department can't do their job.

7. Bulldog1998

Bulldog1998 New Member

Exactly. And occasionally be asked "Are you REAL busy?" and then sent out to take photos of Johnny Appleseed Day at one of the local elementary schools.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

And possibly help in the creation of a copy desk.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't have exceptional time management skills and don't really care about high school sports in an area that I've never lived in.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But, Stitch, do you have a "Neat personal appearance"?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'll probably look like this guy in 20 years. I shower and shave daily, but have only worn a tie once to work in my current job.

[​IMG]

This listing is like one I saw on the California Newspaper Publisher's Association Job Bank for a job in Solvang where the list of qualifications is inversely proportionally to pay.

http://www.cnpa.com/association_jobbank.cfm

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, what if someone has all the attributes, but doesn't have a neat appearance?

Is this for two different jobs, news and sports or one job? From what the description(s) read, it sounds like one of those 70 hour a week jobs that Fredrick rants about.

Draft saved Draft deleted