1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Dunn, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Daily Record is seeking applications for sports editor. The newspaper is a five-day-a-week afternoon publication which is privately owned. It is located in Dunn, halfway between Raleigh and Fayetteville. Emphasis is on local coverage. Applicant must have experience and knowledge of Quark and PhotoShop. Sends resumés to lfarmer@mydailyrecord.com or mail to Lisa Farmer, The Daily Record, P.O. Box 1448, Dunn, N.C. 28335.

2. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Interesting. This job seems to come open every year to 18 months. Small-town paper, could definitely use some work on copy editing. In my old neck of the woods.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I made a 16-month stop there and, no, I am not the guy leaving. It is a one-man show, pretty much. There is a part-timer but his writing is very rudimentary. When I was there, the retired SE, Dan Richards, was the part-timer and he was still an outstanding writer.

The managing editor, Lisa Farmer, is first rate. If you do your job, she leaves you alone. This probably isn't the place for a young, single person. If you want something to do, you pretty much have to go to Raleigh. The pay is not bad, around 30K unless the Adams family has cut back, for a paper its size. You get to do some college stuff too with Campbell. ACC or Hurricanes, on your own dime, your own time. They do not use AP photos. But their news hole is so tight these days that you're lucky to get the standings in. They do supply cameras and lenses but when I was there I used my own.

With that being said, there are worse gigs.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Whoever takes this job can always make Cafe Risque his or her usual lunch stop. So the place has that going for it. ;D

5. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

3 miles up the road, right off the Interstate. LOL.

6. Tarheel316

I never ventured there.lol

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

any update on this one...this seemed like a good fit.

8. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I heard they had some interviews yesterday...supposedly the SE's last day is Friday so they plan on filling this one pretty quick

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lisa Farmer usually doesn't mess around. Truly a top-notch sort both personally and professionally.

10. Tarheel316

Whoever gets this gig couldn't get a better boss. If you do your job well, Lisa will leave you alone and not Monday morning quarterback you. One thing to note, the news hole for sports has gotten very small. Usually there are two pages, both with ads. It is possible to push for more space. I did and got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted