1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Duncan, Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Nov 16, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I just spent two months there. Ick.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I spent five months in Lawton. Thank God for Gertlestone's. (Is it still in existence?)

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did you lose a bet or die and go to hell?

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'll bet I moved home to here just before you left, sad to know that I missed a classic SJ member. Lawton and Fort Sill are a shitty town in the middle of nowhere trying to get big.
    The big thing in the community now?

A CBA franchise opens their home season on Tuesday (and I get to cover it, woo!), and the Olive Garden will be opening soon after years of speculation and waiting.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

This is a hell of a job if you want to make $18K and represent a company that doesn't give a shit about what the rag looks like....but on the bright side, you might be asked by circulation to help sell papers as a show of "team spirit."

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

partial outing alert: yawn works in duncan.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

LMAO...not quite. I just research the Beast.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No, I made the biggest mistake of my life. I joined the Army and went to artillery school.

The Army part was OK, but I screwed up on the artillery because we pratically lived in the field when I got to Germany. Whenever the grunts went on maneuvers, we went out in support; and when the guns went out, we'd have to spot rounds.

But Gertlestone's made the weekends bearable. It was a big-time rugby hangout; the Joes tended toward the titty bars and other clubs.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Gerts, as it is now known, is under new management and is not the same stone that you all knew well.
    Will have to agree with F_B though, the strip clubs do make the most of where they are. One in fact likes to serve beer to underage folk. They hire a guy to stand outside and wait for police to come and then go in and alert. It also helps enforce one of Lawton's age-old statutes, that stippers must use a one-inch thick pad between her and the customer when giving a lap dance.
    And before everyone asks, no, I was neither the person in the lot or the customer. I have a friend that married a stripper that worked at one of the clubs.

10. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Ok sorry to drag this back up.

What is so bad about CNHI? All I know is they offer crappy pay.

I was offered the #2 position here last July and turned it down because it only paid 8.00 an hour. I turned it down for that and other reasons.

But the SE seemed like a really cool guy. I wonder what happened to him? Maybe he couldn't fill that #2 position and got fed up being a one man show?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did you get a chance to meet the publisher? what was he like? think that could be the reason the SE left?

12. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Well he was kind of a wirey little guy. He seemed like the type that worked himself to the bone. Which is a departure from my current publisher who does nothing but look at the budget.
    I think the main problem was that it was a cheap place. They wouldn't hire a photographer and they were only willing to pay his No. 2 chump change.

Draft saved Draft deleted