1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Denton (Texas) Record Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Snarky Arky, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Zman, I love the garage analogy. But some literalist idiot is going to post and ask, "Is it really on fire? Have you called the fire department? It's irresponsible to cry 'Fire' in a crowded newsroom if you haven't!"

Try to give people inside information, and these apologists expect you to out yourself. Idiots.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given that the problems at Dallas are pretty much public domain at this point, it's not really inside information to say that there have been major cuts at the Dallas Morning News. We already know that, newbies.

So, back to the topic at hand ... that's still Denton, not Dallas ...

3. New on this board. Not new to the business. If you think the DRC is such a special place, why are you bothering to read posts? Just apply. I'm sure it's everything you want it to be.

4. carrie

carrie Active Member

OK, lay off of lone star. He knows of what he speaks.

The Belo mothership is in turmoil, and the DRC is the red-headed stepchild of that chain. So just imagine what morale must be like there, if morale even exists. Look at their website - it's just a webhit-padding extension of dallasnews.com.

But when your own in-town paper can't even break news on the only draws in town (UNT or Denton Ryan), what's the point? I mean seriously - why the fuck bother.

So lay off the guy. He was trying to be nice about the situation. I won't.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well-stated. Troy Phillips pwned them on this one.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Finally. Somebody who gets the point. Thanks, C_B.

scribe ... I'm no longer in the newspaper business and I have no interest in going back to the stress level, shitty hours, &c., that I'd have to deal with to do so. I just wanted somebody to post something about the Denton paper without saying, "It has to suck there because they're in the same chain as Dallas and it sucks at Dallas." All I was asking for was a little substance rather than innuendo.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Only thing I can tell is the DRC is not advertising the job on its Web site, Ronnie Richard is still the ASE, and Russ hasn't turned up at any other paper yet.

ADD: Russ used to post on here but from what I can tell, he nuked out under his old handle.

9. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Was in Texas late last week and saw the job in the DMN classified section on Wednesday.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what the heck happened with russ anyway?

11. Not sure if he was pushed or jumped. Anyone?

12. greenie

greenie Member

Russ got canned after repeated complaints about him from his writers.

DMN-ex Todd Jorgenson got the gig. He'd been working in their entertainment section, I think, since getting laid off by DMN.

Draft saved Draft deleted