1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Denton (Texas) Record Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Snarky Arky, Nov 19, 2006.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Well, look at it this way: Maybe Belo will vomit the R-C and an even worst piece of parasitical shit like, let's see, CNHI, will come in and gobble it up. Then I'm certain the staff will chant in unison, "We're Saved!"

Some of you don't know BAD. There are other companies that make Belo look like sterling silver.

2. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Is the circulation there really only 15K?
    I would have guessed 50-plus. I thought it was a Division I-A college town in a growing area.

3. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, it's a really surprisingly small circulation.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It is a Division I-A college town (at least nominally) and it is in a very rapidly growing area, but they've cut their coverage area to basically the northern half of Denton County.

Gainesville? Out. Decatur? Out. Even Little Elm is out because the DRC powers decided a few years ago that Little Elm residents shop in Frisco and not Denton.

As a result, their football coverage has shrunk to UNT, five 4A high schools (the 3 city schools, Lake Dallas and Justin Northwest), three 3A schools, a 2A and a pair of private schools in town. That's it.

In hoops, you can add a couple of schools that are really good because basketball's all they do, and a couple of new small private schools that stink at it.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you generally won't find anything south of lewisville lake covered in the drc so i wouldn't call it a true countywide paper. plus, the circulation could be skewed somewhat in comparison to the denton population simply because of the sheer enrollment numbers of unt, many of whom live off-campus but who aren't necessarily intersted in subscribing to the "hometown" paper. hard to read a newspaper when you're trying to recover from a continuous hangover. students don't even go to saturday games in respectable numbers and that's including when they had a recent four- or five-year run to the greatness of the new orleans bowl.

6. zman82

zman82 Member

sad but true ... a lot of people that live there don't even know denton has a paper. they consider the dmn the local paper, and they only cover the southern portion of the county. didn't know the dropped gainsville. too bad, they used to be a football and basketball powerhouse.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not really. Have the layoffs &c. at the DMN spread to Denton? How's the staff morale? What's the situation at Denton --- not in Dallas, but in Denton? Tell us about Denton. That would actually be information I'd want to know if I was interested in taking a job in Denton.

8. Why don't you go find out for yourself, Bernstein? Like this guy owes you anything.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Shoebottom, kiss my shoe's bottom. The one I stepped in dog shit with. Here's the thing you seem to have forgotten: One of the main uses of this board is as a clearinghouse for sports journalists to share information about jobs, potential employers, etc. Taken from that point of view, anybody warning people away from a job should be prepared to explain why.

A lot of people know about the problems at the Dallas Morning News, but there are good odds that not everybody who might apply views this particular situation as a stepping-stone to the Dallas Morning News, and could be perfectly happy in a suburban market rather than at a major metro like the Dallas Morning News.

Gang, if you're going to post one of those "Stay away" messages, explain why we should stay away. I have yet to see anybody offering those messages come up with a good reason to stay away regarding Denton. Dallas, yes. But not Denton. It could be that the powers that be at Belo have left the DRC alone in a state of benign neglect and for that reason, being sports editor there isn't all that bad because there's not a lot of pressure from far above.

But we don't know that, do we?

So let's talk about Denton ... not Dallas.

You might be able to go there, get some design clips, get some writing clips, get some management experience &c. and in a couple of years move on to a bigger paper that's not the Dallas Morning News.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Shoebottom, take it easy. The guy just asked a simple question.

11. zman82

zman82 Member

cofee and others...
    i'm not saying stay away but everything the dmn has done in the past (ie, open up Arlington office, try Qcat scanners, pour money into collin county has in some way affected the drc over the past 5-10 years. the three exampleslised above all failed leading to budget cuts all around, openings to downtown getting clogged up and positions needed to be filled not getting filled. after hearing that the drc doesn't even cover the northern or eastern part of the county anymore this proves my point even further ... their collin county edition (the neighboring county) is taking those ad $$$ away.
    simply put, if your house is on fire and your standing in the garage it's only a matter of time before you get burned too.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

All this stuff reinforces me being satisfied as the SE at a small (11K) daily. They're not going eliminate the position.lol

Draft saved Draft deleted