1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Denton (Texas) Record Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Snarky Arky, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Or Aubrey?

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, this is the sports culture that kept a $1 mil donation and agreed to name a football facility after a fired coach. This is also the same school that was in effect renamed for a player (Mean Joe Greene) and that didn't cost a cent.

The first job I'd assign here is how Fouts Field may be more known as the stage for "Unnecessary Roughness" than anything else UNT has done. The movie had the right approach...this should have been the Texas State Armadillos....but now, the school in San Marcos has grabbed Texas State. But what the hell, Armadillos would still be a very marketable nickname.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Hey Claws for Concern ... you're hired!

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

unt - home to the flying worm helmets of years past and the greatness of booger kennedy!

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

One thing I always wondered about regarding UNT: When the school was still North Texas State, the call letters for the campus radio station were KNTS. Did they ever change that to reflect the new name of the university?

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

gosh pressboxer, i don't get where you're going. and i believe it was kntu, not knts, which makes the joke easier to understand.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yawn, I hate to say it, but you earned some points for an Aubrey reference. The Chaps are still alive.

8. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Is the 1:00 jazz band still alive?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Truth be told, I want to see a job posting on this one.

Chef's not dead till he s___s his pants.

10. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

11. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Company: Denton Record-Chronicle
    Position:
    Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    December 27, 2006
    Job ID: 705307

Description:
    We are a subsidiary of Belo Corp., and The Dallas Morning News, located just 35 miles north or the DFW metroplex, a daily newspaper with a circulation of just under 15,000.

If you have a background in sports, are a sports enthusiast, and have experience having written and done layout of sports stories, you may be our next Sports Editor. The ideal candidate, along with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in journalism or a substantial amount of professional experience, must have had previous experience in a supervisory position and must be proficient in page design and layout. Experience with QuarkXpress, Microsoft Office programs and HTML are vital as are excellent writing and editing skills.

Resumes, clips, along with a cover letter stating the position sought may be e-mailed to Carol Puckett, Human Resources Manager at cpuckett@dentonrc.com; faxed to her at 940/566-6981; or mailed to Carol Puckett, H.R. Manager, P. O. Box 369, Denton, TX 76202. No phone calls, please.

When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Here's a story idea for the new SE, free of charge...

An in-depth study on how in the holy hell UNT's AD could speak so glowingly of his football coach's battles with diabetes, heart problems and who knows what else, only to axe him before the season ends.

Especially considering how North Texas was pretty much the class of the Sun Belt until about a year ago.

Tough crowd, boy, tough crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted