1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Danville (Va.) Register & Bee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jbrown1450, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Drew, obviously you didn't sugar coat the situation. I have no problem with people telling the truth about an opening. Papers are cutting back and seeing how few people they need to get a product out. This is a prime example, at least from my view, of a guy overworked and receiving little compensation and no help.
    Good luck at Averett. You will need it.

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Yeah, Drew. Why the edits? You were being honest in your assesment of the situation someone will be entering in Danville. No reason to edit that.

Good luck. You were one of the good ones.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Probably because there was a lot more negative than positive, but if it was the truth, ya gotta keep it.

4. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

The first edit I made because it sounded like I was talking about the paper as a whole. My personal frustrations were with the Web site, which got an extreme makeover back in the spring. I've asked and asked that certain things be done or corrected. For instance, you can categorize a Danville Braves story in "Minor Leagues" but there's no section on the page for it. So once it's off the top few stories, it disappears. And there's no miscellaneous area. Say we write something on a local golf tournament. There's no where for it to be categorized. So we have to file it under high school sports, even though those people playing in the tournament graduated when Ike and JFK were in the White House. The way it was built, our web guy says he has to get Richmond to fix it. After multiple e-mails and conversations, I gave up.

The second edit was more of a clarification because I had someone PM me about the Rockingham papers and I realized that I didn't mention that we had hired someone to handle that layout workload (although the new SE may choose to reorganize for all I know).

So I think those two edits were fair to make.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel one iota better, Drew, you weren't alone in web organization - or lack thereof. My now-former MG stop has had the web overhauled twice, and it's still the same twisted mess.

And being an MG veteran, I would suspect there's a big communication gap somewhere.

----

On topic, I've had the pleasure of meeting Arnold Hendrix. He came across as the sort that would back sports and the people in the department among his many duties. I've yet to hear a bad word about him.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Drew,

Sam's right. Still waiting for "prep wrestling" and "cross country" as Web categories.

But anyhoo. Good job, if you get it, take it.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

The new redesign MGs been trotting out is an even worse mess -- at least with the last redesign you could find what was in that day's paper ... now, good luck finding anything that isn't 2-3 days old ...

8. Keystone

Keystone Member

Sam is correct on Arnold. He will go to the mat for sports. That type of manager is few and far between in this business.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Heard nothing but nice things about Arnold.

Draft saved Draft deleted