1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Dalles, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Worked at The Dalles Chronicle way back when, in the 1980s. Great place to spend a few years and write your ass off. You WILL work hard for below average pay. I heard the last guy was paid around $27,000 a year. The Columbia Gorge is an acquired taste. It's beautiful, but then again it's hot and stuffy in the summer. Lots of ice storms in the winter. Great preps and summer baseball. Fairly close to Portland, 90 minutes or so, if you want to have some fun on the weekend. When I was there, it was also fun to go cover Oregon and Oregon State football games every now and then, for a column or featured gamer. Good place for two-income family or person who doesn't mind low-end pay for decent returns to work his/her way up.

2. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Anyone know what happened to previous SE?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I assume the college stuff is on your own time for so-called "big-boy clips?" I know that future editors salivate over a column or gamer from a one-time visit to the big school in the area.

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I don't imagine there's any OSU/UO stuff anymore. The Dalles has had a couple of guy go play (and start) for the Beavers, and I don't know that the paper covered games. Certainly did phoners with the guys, keeping up on their experiences, etc., but I know of no trips to Eugene and Corvallis. Sorry.

Last guy was a former stringer who replaced the long-time SE who got married and wanted out of the biz. Don't know much about the last guy except what I've heard (and it wasn't glowing, to be sure) and it sounds like both sides were just ready for a change.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Guy at a weekly I talked with today says he didn't bother applying because working at the Chronicle would mean more work and less pay...that should tell you how pathetic this position is.

Draft saved Draft deleted