1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Daily Pilot, Newport Beach/Costa Mesa, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted on Aug. 8 at CNPA website (California Newspaper Publishers Association)

Link to all CNPA job postings -- www.cnpa.com/classified/classified.html

SPORTS EDITOR: The Daily Pilot, a 30,000-circulation paper in Orange County, has an opening for its sports editor. The winning candidate will bring extensive knowledge of and passion for youth and high school sports; the ability to work with reporters to craft compelling stories; and the planning skills necessary to produce several pages of local sports per day. The Pilot covers sports that include everything from youth leagues in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa to UC Irvine's athletics. Our readers look to us to treat the local sports scene with the same dedication and seriousness as other papers do the NFL and MLB. The sections are well read and have a strong following in the community. We are part of Times Community News, a division of the Los Angeles Times.

Send resume and clips to Editor S.J. Cahn at s.j.cahn@latimes.com.

This paper is inserted in the Los Angeles Times for its subscribers. The paper does have a very loyal following. They cover a small group of high schools very well, at least one community college (Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa) and perhaps others, they dabble in UC Irvine coverage as well as stuff like an annual Senior PGA Champions Tour event in Newport Beach and some pro tennis (Newport Beach has a one of those World TeamTennis franchises). Oh yeah, and they cover youth sports galore too.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I love how the best line is saved for last.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that 1) you won't be able to afford to live in the communities you cover and 2) you will have no chance of scoring with any of the Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County hotties.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's a good little paper locally. I'm not sure what the pay would be in a Times company.

As I noted on another job thread, the cost of living isn't awful -- UNLESS you're trying to buy a home. Then it's exorbitant...

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So I guess this means the Daily Press and the Virginian-Pilot aren't merging

6. 50 scent

50 scent Member

I used to write for them... fair assesment.

As a journalist, Can we afford to live anywhere?

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I know the person you'd be replacing in this job and two of the sportswriters.

The pros: you'd be working in the LA Times network, which means good pay (all things considered) and bennies, although not nearly good enough to prevent you from making a decent commute (see OC Register thread).

You'd also have a pretty good list of sports to cover, S.J. Cahn is a pretty good guy from my limited dealings with him and the bar/restaurant scene is as good as it gets.

The cons: Insane cost of living and traffic. That is one of the most expensive areas in SoCal, which is saying something. Plus, don't expect to take this job, kick ass, take names and parlay it into a ticket downtown. You are dead to everyone on Spring Street.

Also, the turnover in this department of late has increased. One former writer left to go to cooking school. He even did a story on it for Orange Coast Magazine.

Draft saved Draft deleted