1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Daily Chronicle, DeKalb, Ill

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JohnSahly, May 29, 2012.

1. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

I wanted to get this out here as soon as possible. This person will be replacing me, though I am not leaving the Chronicle. Starting July 1, I will slide over to a web producer position. I'm truly excited about it and can't wait to get started. It wasn't an easy decision to change jobs. The sports editor job has been a rewarding experience and you'll have to the chance to do some special things in this job, but I'm excited to lead the way with where we're going on the web.

I look forward to working with the new sports editor, and if you have any questions on the job, feel free to PM me or email me at jsahly@shawmedia.com.

JOB TITLE: Sports Editor

The Daily Chronicle, a 9,000 circulation six-day a week newspaper owned by Shaw Media that covers DeKalb County, Ill., is looking for an energetic sports editor to lead our coverage of Northern Illinois University and high school athletics.

This is an opportunity for an editor or writer to step in and lead coverage of a top 30 Division I college football program, a robust high school sports scene and community sports. We are looking for an editor who will continue to grow our print and digital audience, and who relishes taking chances with innovative enterprise and feature ideas. You will be expected to continue the tradition of the Daily Chronicle sports section being recognized nationally.

Our section has finished in the top 10 in our circulation category in the Associated Press Sports Editors contest in each of the past three years. Our NIU athletics website – HuskieWire.com – has been honored by APSE for three consecutive years.

Qualified candidates must have experience in a deadline-driven environment and has demonstrated the ability to write clear, concise and engaging sports stories and features. Candidates should possess a passion for community sports journalism and the ability to work collaboratively with photographers and reporters to produce a great newspaper and website. The position also includes limited page design responsibility, so knowledge of InDesign is a plus.

At least three years of professional experience preferred. Solid knowledge of AP Style and grammar is required. Experience with the web and multimedia is a plus.

Interested candidates are invited to send their résumé, cover letter and clips to:

Shaw Media - Human Resources
    Attn: Sports Editor
    1586 Barber Greene Road
    DeKalb, IL 60115

OR E-mail: editorialrecruitment@shawmedia.com

Shaw Media is a Drug Free Employer.
    Pre-employment background check and drug screen required.
    This posting may not include all duties of the position.
    EOE

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

From everything I've heard this is a good shop. Small, but it produces a lot of good work.

3. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

Bumping this up, we are still accepting applications at this point.

4. Packerfan4

Packerfan4 New Member

Any update on this position?

5. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

Here is the update: Our senior editor and managing editor left within about a week of each other for new jobs. As a result, the sports editor position will not be filled until a new senior editor is hired. So we will restart our search in (hopefully) 3-4 weeks. The paper is doing fine with an interim editor and for now I'm making sure sports is OK while I transition to web producer. This still is a great job and a great opportunity for someone with a vision to come in and do great work.

If you have applied, we have your resume, cover letter and clips on file. If you haven't, this is a chance to put together your vision for what you want to do in this position.

I will post again on this as soon as we have an update.

John Sahly
    Sports Editor
    Daily Chronicle

6. Packerfan4

Packerfan4 New Member

Any update yet? I know you said you'd post one once you could, but just figured I'd ask.

7. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

No update yet, hope to have one at some point in the next week

8. jla74m

jla74m Member

I worked here as an intern when I went to NIU. Nice area, nice shop, would be a great job to have.

9. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

Our search has restarted. We have hired a new editor of the Daily Chronicle, former Northwest Herald sports editor Eric Olson. We obviously look forward to Eric's leadership and the new sports editor will have plenty of sports experience in the building. If you have sent in resumes, we still have them. If not, get them in as soon as you can. If you have questions, don't be afraid to PM me or email me at jsahly@shawmedia.com

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Which begs the question: Does the NW Herald hire?

Draft saved Draft deleted