1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Cumming, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Jul 11, 2007.

1. http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=801681

The Forsyth County News, a 15,000 circulation newspaper (4-days) located in Forsyth County Georgia is looking for a sports editor to join our award-winning staff.

This position is responsible for coverage of local sports and other recreational activities. The sports editor is a writing and editing position which supervises a full-time sports writer and a network of correspondents. This position also coordinates coverage with our sports writer at a sister weekly newspaper. We are looking for someone with a desire and passion to produce local sport stories and features. Our sports plan commits us to local coverage only, leaving college and professional sports to others. Our sports team is expected to turn game stories -- on deadline -- that tell a reader more than just the 5 W's. We are looking for the level of creativity that will keep our readers informed and entertained. The ideal candidate will have significant writing experience and the ability to work closely with reporting staff, correspondents and the editor. Knowledge of AP style is necessary. Proficiency in QuarkXpress and PhotoShop is a plus.

Our market focuses on Forsyth County, near the beautiful North Georgia Mountains and only 40 miles from the many amenities of Atlanta. Our coverage area approximates 150K population and has 4 high schools.

The Forsyth County News is a Swartz-Morris Media newspaper. Our compensation package includes competitive pay, medical, dental, 401k and life. If you’re the right fit for this position, and willing to work to help take this newspaper to the next level, Forsyth County News would like to hear from you.

Send a resume and clips to: John Hall Publisher Forsyth County News P.O. Box 210 Cumming, GA 30028 Fax: 770-889-6017 johnhall@forsythnews.com

2. boots

boots New Member

This has come open again rather quickly. I'm somewhat surprised.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

$30-$35K a year for a 15K daily seems like a lot of money. Kind of piqued my interest.

4. boots

boots New Member

Buck, they can afford it.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They offer me $35K and I'm there.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think the above statement says too much about the newspaper industry.

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Would agree with Buckweaver on this one. If that's the same John Hall in Forsyth who was the publisher of the now-defunct Warner Robins Daily Sun, word to the wise, be very wary. I didn't work there, but I worked for a place close to there and once lived in Warner Robins. The Daily Sun was a sweatshop.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Songbird ... you're hired!

9. boots

boots New Member

That Warner Robins paper wasn't too bad.

10. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Cumming is one of the more expensive parts to live in Atl. $35k... if you get that... isn't great pay. Many of the homes are in the $300k+ range, I'm sure apartments aren't cheap either. Better get a sugarmomma!

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Very true. It is right next to Lake Lanier, though.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd bet that whoever gets the job is going to be paid much closer to 30 than to 35. And Cumming is more of an exurb than a suburb. You can find cheap accommodations close by if you need to.

Draft saved Draft deleted