1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Culpeper, Va

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Mar 2, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Culpeper Star-Exponent, a 7,400-circ daily about 70 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., needs a sports editor who can lead a small staff and excel at community journalism.

The ideal candidate will have at least two years experience in sports and be able to write, design, edit, work the wire and oversee multimedia ventures. We'll squeeze in some coverage of regional college and pro sports, but we are primarily a community paper whose main focus is high school and rec events. If you like the mountains, they're only 30 minutes away. Culpeper also offers some of the best restaurants known to man.

Design skills are a must; knowledge of Quark and Photoshop is a big plus. We operate on an ACT platform.

The Star-Exponent is owned by Media General, the Southeast's leading provider of news, and offers excellent opportunities for advancement at our mid-size and metro dailies. Over the past two years, our circulation has increased by about 15 percent, making us one of the fastest-growing papers in the nation. We have a young, enthusiastic staff that excels at putting out a high-quality product seven days a week.

Send resume and portfolio (include cover letter, five story clips and three design samples) to Managing Editor Rob Humphreys, 122 W. Spencer St., Culpeper, VA 22701.

E-mai: rhumphreys@starexponent.com.

Phone: (540) 825-0771 x128

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Jesum crow, how many times is that job going to be open? It's like Media General's version of Martinsville.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hmmm...

Jeff's a good guy. Where's he headed?

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Last time I commented on this one, I got torn apart for not knowing what I was talking about.

Rob seemed like a good guy when I spoke with him, and you can -- repeat, can -- get paid decently if you've got a decent resume.

Anything else, PM me.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And lest this come across like I'm bashing Culpeper, I can also vouch for Rob's good-guyness, even if by way of limited contact. But let's call it like we see it, this job is open a LOT.

6. Of course it's open a lot. It's 7,400 circ/six-day daily that covers hs and rec sports. There probably hasn't been a lifer there in 30 years. But it's obvious you can build up some good writing and design clips and move on in good order. And I'll second the motion on Rob as a good guy and straight shooter.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

OK, I'll also say what a good guy Rob is, but honestly, how do you hire a guy considering the last couple of SE's have left so quickly. That shit would get frustrating. I'm surprised we haven't seen an opening for Rob's position.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Heh. I get that one.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I hear Virginia's for lovers.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Then how does that explain me?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gotta look for the girls who are good for all the wrong reasons, Mr. Meat.

Isn't there a high school whose nickname is the Flucos?

BTW, why does this site take forever to load every ding-dong page? So bloody frustrating. Do I need to download flash or something? Someone help, please.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That would be the Fluvanna Flying Flucos, which is a touch east of Charlottesville. Their logo is a winged F. If I covered a team that beat them, and nobody was minding the store, I'd break out "Podunk doesn't give a flying F" as a headline.

By the by: Fluco is just a shortened form of "Fluvanna County". Talk about the reality not living up to the hype.

Draft saved Draft deleted