1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Cortez, Colo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsguydave, Jul 2, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

From jjobs.com:

Company: Cortez Journal
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 6, 2009
    Job ID: 1068682

Description:
    The Cortez Journal seeks a sports editor to cover high school and rec-league sports, outdoor recreation, rodeos and other Southwest Colorado sports-related activities.

The Journal is a family-owned, 3x/week, 7,000-circulation community newspaper. The publication has received awards for general excellence from the Associated Press and Colorado Press Association, in addition to press association awards for sports stories, columns and photos.

The Journal redesigned its Web site in 2008 and publishes a Monday-through-Saturday online edition. The sports editor must be able to meet daily deadlines and should have a desire to work with online content. Frequent and positive reader interaction is a must. The successful applicant will have a degree in journalism or related field and a proven ability to cover sports.

Southwest Colorado, where Cortez is located, ranges from high desert country to San Juan Mountain peaks rising more than 14,000 feet. Residents here enjoy hiking, mountain biking, four-wheeling, camping, fly fishing, hunting, skiing, kayaking, river rafting and other activities. Mesa Verde National Park is next door, and southern Utah’s canyon country is a short drive away.

The Journal offers a full benefit package, including medical/dental/vision and life insurance, paid time off and 401k plan with a generous company match. We work in a spacious building close to the city recreation center. The newsroom staff is congenial and informal.

The Journal is an equal-opportunity employer. The publication offers a drug-free workplace, and drug screening is mandatory for new employees.

E-mail a cover letter, resume, clips and references to jobapps@cortezjournal.com, or send them to Human Resources, P.O. Box J, Cortez, CO 81321.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I know the city and the area quite well. PM with questions.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Amazing country with lots to do and see.

Also in the middle of BFE.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

But you get to cover rodeo!! :D

5. MileHigh

Definitely in the middle of BFE. Hard to get to. But TONS of outdoor stuff to do. You're 20 minutes from the desert, 20 minutes from the mountains, less than an hour from Durango.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

BFE is right. 4 1/2 hours to Albuquerque, 6 1/2 to SLC, 7 1/2 to Denver (when you can even get there, which you can't for large portions of the winter).

The former U.S. 666 meets U.S. 160 in Cortez, though. So there's that.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I had a decent Italian dinner there, once.

I think that the place was called Ninos.

That was back when my parents lived on the Res.

8. MileHigh

Actually not true about getting to Denver for large portions of the winter. Roads are open most of the year. If you go through Silverton (and why would you?), then yeah, it's hard. But 160 over Wolf Creek and 145 over Lizard Head are open most of the year. And if it gets really bad, go out through Moab and pick up I-70 west of Grand Junction.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To me, if it's that bad, it's not gonna be much easier on I-70. But yeah, I guess you're right. It's doable, for those who are used to it, anyway.

But I'd have to really want to get to Denver to go through any of that anyway. It's a nice city and all, but ...

10. MileHigh

It's virtually a day to get to any big city from there. As mentioned, it's in the middle of BFE.

11. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

I think the guy that left this job was named Ben Webster. Any idea what happened to my boy?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's the guy. The job looks to pay okay as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted