1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Corpus Christi (Texas) Caller-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Greg Rajan, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Greg Rajan

Greg Rajan New Member

The Corpus Christi Caller-Times is looking for an energetic, organized, hands-on sports editor who has an eagerness to improve the sports department's coverage and a willingness to push a staff to tell dynamic stories that readers get nowhere else.

The right candidate must be capable of planning the coverage well in advance and organizing a staff to cover more than 40 high schools, a Division I university, minor league baseball and junior league hockey.

The ideal candidate should not want a staff that churns game advances, notebooks and live coverage. With the change in readers' expectations, the sports editor will be expected to lead a staff writing in-depth features, compelling enterprise for Sunday editions and expert analysis for write-thrus of live game coverage. The editor is expected to look at stories from different angles and push the staff to ask the bigger questions and write stories that can and will go on Page 1A because they are that good.

We're looking for an editor who encourages the sports staff to pull readers into the dialogue via social media, especially with prep athletes and high school sports fans. We put value on real-time reporting and breaking news on digital platforms.

There will be time leading the sports desk at night, but the ideal candidate must be flexible in working days, nights or weekends. The sports editor will participate in newsroom planning and strategic efforts.

The next editor will be replacing a sports editor who led a staff to two national APSE awards. We expect that trend of storytelling to continue and improve.

This is an opportunity to lead a fantastic staff at the Caller-Times (circulation 50,700 Sunday, 38,500 daily) with a managing editor who cut his teeth as a sports reporter.

Applicants must have at least five years of daily newspaper experience, with clips showing ability to manage enterprise reporting and big production nights like Friday night football coverage.

Spanish fluency is a plus.

The Caller-Times pays competitive salary with excellent benefits.

Corpus Christi sits on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, about three hours southwest of Houston and two hours south of San Antonio. The warm climate, beach, diverse population and rapid growth make Corpus Christi a dynamic area for telling great stories. The paper consistently is among the top award winners in the region for a mid-sized daily. We're going to fill this spot quickly.

No phone calls for initial correspondence, please. Feel free to e-mail work samples and references (electronic correspondence preferred initially) to: Bro Krift, managing editor at bro.krift@caller.com

Candidates must apply electronically at http://www.scripps.com/careers

2. Greg Rajan

Greg Rajan New Member

FYI, I am the person they're replacing. If you have any questions about the job or Corpus Christi, feel free to message me.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Love Corpus Christi and would love to get this job. Great place, great people, great newspaper.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Agree with you, Doc. Have loved that paper for 50 years.

5. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

Corpus Christi is one of the few places on the Texas Coast that I would consider a move to. I've only been there a couple of times, but the city seems to have a lot more going for it than Galveston or Beaumont, IMO. This seems like it would be a nice gig.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Without a doubt Corpus has a lot going for it. I've been there a couple times, too. Always picked up the paper and always been impressed with their work. I tried to work my way down there at one time but nothing opened up for me. Wish it had. Love the Caller Times and the city. I'd encourage anyone to apply for this gig. Cannot be a bad place to work from the all the good things I've heard about it.

7. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

Greg, where are you headed to?

Draft saved Draft deleted