1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Columbus, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 14, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

They want to know how you'd present the pages/section. As I read it they want to know what you value in the role of a Sports Editor.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Bubbler could give some good insight on this job.

Gustin's OK. I worked with him way back in the day in a different city.

The former EIC, who was there when I interviewed for a job, was bat-shit nuts and came off as a prick.

Columbus is an interesting city architectually, and it's a stone's throw from Indy, Bloomington and Louisville. Also, and I mean this with complete sincerity, there's outlet shopping to be had nearby.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Jjobs is also listing a reporter opening at this place, half news, half features. That's an awful lot of hiring to be happening at the same time. And an awful lot of turnover.

I'd imagine they're wanting to move pretty quickly on these sports positions, since they'll be completely without a sports staff in a couple of weeks.

I worked briefly at the nearby sister paper, so there's good high school sports to be covered in the area. The two Columbus guys had some kind of webcast deal during high school football season, so it looks like they're looking for new things to do online.

And OTR, you're probably speaking of the Edinburgh outlet mall, right? Wasn't there long enough to get to check it out.

4. That former EIC gets ripped by a lot of people, but I can honestly say I never had a problem with the guy. He was only around two years or so with me before he got canned for crossing the publisher wrong (or at least that's what we all came to understand). But, in that time, he never had a problem with the way our department went about doing our jobs...I can't say the same for a couple others. He did once call me into his office, and everyone expected me to come back out with my tail between my legs, but we just had a 10 minute conversation about a few things he wanted me to improve in my writing. It was good advice and I took it. But, for the rest of the afternoon, a steady string of people came by my desk to make sure I was fine. I was...it was actually a positive experience because someone, without acting like an ass, told me what I was doing wrong, what I was doing right and what was expected of me.

5. They'll have to move quickly on the SE position. I'm not leaving until early June. So, they can take a little more time and likely let the new SE have some input on who gets hired for my position, which hasn't been posted and isn't known outside of the newsroom except for me mentioning it here. Most everything should be winding down then on the prep scene, aside from the final rounds of various state tournaments.

The "Friday Night Football" site is a huge deal. Unlike what is probably expected in Indiana, Columbus really is a football city. Both of the city's high schools are regularly ranked highly and have made recent deep runs in the state tournament. That's reflected on the site, which we typically begin planning for in June. There's a short webcast each week previewing the game. There are regular video features. We blog at least twice a week there. But, that's the extent of the online work that we do. We tried it for basketball one year and the web hits simply weren't there, so it's football, football and more football.

Edinburgh Outlet is fine, especially if you avoid it on weekends/near Christmas. Then, the traffic in and out of the parking lot is downright unbearable. I've probably only been there four or five times and I'd typically go late in the morning midweek to stay away from the crowds. I've spent way too much money at the Coach outlet for my purse obsessed wife.

6. TexasStud

TexasStud New Member

Sounds intriguing. Anyone know the pay range?

7. flexmaster33

Not close to the source here, but I'm guessing less than seven figures...lol

8. An update:

Lew Freedman has been hired as the SE at The Republic. He'll take over in mid-May.

Interviews are starting next week for the writing position.

9. flexmaster33

Congrats to Lew...bummer for me, I was excited about this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted