1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Columbiana, Al

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Award-winning newspaper and Web site in Alabama's most prosperous and fastest- growing county seeks a top-notch editor for our all-local sports section. Sports editor is only full-time employee in our sports department. He or she will organize a group of stringers to help provide the state's best coverage of local sports, high school through little league. This position is not entry level. It requires sports reporting, as well as photography experience. Video editing experience a plus. Quality of life here is as good as it gets and opportunity for advancement -- with our company and others -- nearly limitless. Must be proficient in QuarkXpress and Adobe Photoshop. More than competitive salary and benefits. Please send non-returnable resume with clips of stories and photos to Tim Prince, publisher, Shelby County Reporter, tim.prince@shelbycountyreporter.com No phone calls, please

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I assume this is code for "no AP wire."

Shelby County is indeed a nice area, the boomingest part of the Birmingham metro. There is some decent high school football in that area. Briarwood Christian (which produced Alabama's Castille brothers and Auburn QB of the future Barret Trotter) is a perennial state title contender, and Pelham (where Tyler Watts went) is usually pretty good.

Also a lot of good golf in the area, if you're into that sort of thing. But if you're thinking you'll be hanging out in the press box in Tuscaloosa or Auburn every weekend, you can probably forget that.

And do they really consider the sports editor of a weekly to be non-entry level?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. SCR busts ass on its prep stuff. The football tab is magazine style and keep in mind that Shelby County is not only one of the fastest growing, but becoming one of the most affulent in Alabama.
    I think this can be a second job, rather than entry level. At least second job if the first is another weekly or small daily.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

I second Slappy thoughts on the quality of the product. They often win awards and the tab is top notch. One of the bigger sports sections you'll see in a weekly. I've seen as many as 14 pages of sports in there.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Shelby County is suburban Birmingham. Just know that Columbiana itself is about six stops past civilization.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's funny, in a sad sort of way. Not too terribly long ago, I heard of entry-level people getting on board at major metros. Now we have a weekly emphasizing that it is not an entry-level job.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't do me any favors.

8. Jay Stone

Jay Stone New Member

14 pages of sports. Was there anything else in that edition?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Slappy Pipeline "40 percent of the time, we're 20 percent right!" is pleased to announce that young Wesley Hallman, the current/former parttimer at the Birmingham News, has accepted this position.
    Congrats to a hard-working young man. (And my guess is that the News won't fill his position)

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Good for Wesley, indeed!

rb

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's a pretty big weekly.

12. times38

times38 Member

so was it actually Gene Hallman?

Draft saved Draft deleted