1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Claremont, NH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Daily newspaper serving communities in the Twin-State Valley Region of New Hampshire and Vermont seeks a full-time sports editor to provide inspired coverage of high school teams, produce the daily sports section and make daily updates to the sports page of the paper's Web site. The ideal candidate understands that what our readers want most is solid coverage of local athletes — and will be self-motivated and skilled in reporting, writing and page layout using Quark. Position includes a mix of nights and weekends; the paper publishes Sunday through Friday mornings. Full-time benefits. As a bonus, you'll be living in one of the most beautiful areas New Hampshire or Vermont has to offer. We have the mountains for skiing and lakes for swimming. To apply, e-mail resume and clips to mapelquist@tsvmedia.net or mail to Maryellen Apelquist, managing editor, Eagle Times, 401 River Road, Claremont, N.H. 03743.

2. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

Beautiful, yes. Lots to do (especially in the winter), no.

They should have never gotten rid of Poody Walsh.

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

Anybody know anything about this one?

4. Words

Words New Member

Poody may have run his course there. He's better off freelancing for the many papers he freelances for.

Whoever takes this job needs to know that the Valley News 25 miles up the road is making (has made) serious inroads back into the Claremont-Newport area and is starting to capture the readership around Kearsarge High School, now that the Argus-Champion folded months ago. So the competition is steep.

PM for any questions.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Circulation size and any guess on pay?

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A few things about this opening. The ME, Maryellen Apelquist, was just hired last month. They're also advertising for a gen. assignment reporter.

I believe their circulation is about 7,900.

Anyone with more info, please pass it on. Thanks!

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I live about 30 minutes from this paper. It's a nice location, yes, but like Kamaki there is not much to do. The schools you'll be covering will be very, very small prep schools and you'll likely cover some local stories around the mountains. No collegs nearby and you have at least a 20 minute drive to any sort of civilization.

Draft saved Draft deleted