1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Dec 21, 2015.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Cincinnati is printed in Columbus. According to Google Maps the Columbus Dispatch is 107 miles from the Cincinnati Enquirer building. What are the deadlines for a Reds game. Did the Bengals Monday night with the Broncos make it into the Tuesday paper?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

From my understanding a couple years ago (I could be wrong), the deadline was super early -- like 9 p.m. or so -- but they could do a shift or stop shift to get games in some/most editions.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I did some freelance work for them recently and my contact referenced a 9:30 deadline.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Given how bad the Red are does the paper bother to pay the extra money to get night scores in?

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Good luck to whoever gets this. Saw today that the Enquirer laid off their only preps reporter.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Makes you wonder with all the good football teams in particular in that area how they will cover preps going forward. Revolving door of who already is on staff? Pay freelancers? This biz at times makes me smh

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Gannett's new "Journalism of the Future" work shift:
    3 hours: Cover game, shoot photos, shoot video, write story. Arrive at halftime to cut costs.
    4 hours: Desk shift. Don't fuck up, and don't forget the blog posts and online content. Hurry!
    4 hours: Deliver newspapers. We're short on cars, so use your own. You're a team player, right?
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Total: 8 hours. You got a problem with that?

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

You also forgot to get the staff coffee and donuts too.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

So are they shifting someone from a current beat to preps? Or maybe they have a preps supervisor who will go solely with stringers?

10. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

This one has apparently been filled. Don't know who, but the timing is interesting given the preps news.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You also forgot to take prep calls, put out the All-Star section and host a diversity summit.

Potter likes this.
  12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Another Cincinnati thread said a sports editor has been hired. Any word?

Draft saved Draft deleted