1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Cayman Compass, Cayman Islands

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Nov 18, 2016.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Pinnacle Media is seeking a Sports Editor who will oversee coverage of athletics and outdoor activities for the Cayman Compass, the only daily newspaper in the Cayman Islands.

Cayman is a British Overseas Territory in the Caribbean, best known for being an international financial center and tropical luxury tourism destination. For more information on our jurisdiction and our newspaper, visit www.caymancompass.com.

With year-round sunshine, excellent facilities and warm Caribbean waters, our islands are a haven for competitive and recreational athletic activity for people of all ages. Cayman is home to people from more than 100 countries across the world; accordingly, our newspaper's sports and outdoors coverage caters to a wide variety of interests, including (soccer) football, (American) football, rugby, tennis, swimming, cycling, skateboarding, BMX, track and field, boxing, martial arts, basketball, hockey, baseball, cricket, squash, sport shooting, equestrian sports, sailing, distance running, sport fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, free diving, kiteboarding, jet ski racing, and more.

We seek a serious and self-directing journalist who is equally dedicated to covering community and youth sports, competitive athletics, charity events, local and regional tournaments, adult recreational leagues, professional sports and international competitions such as the Olympic Games.

The successful applicant must have at least 5 years of experience in the newspaper industry, including previous experience as a senior-level sports journalist for a daily newspaper, and must possess a university-level degree in English, journalism or related field. The successful applicant must have exceptional photography skills, must be proficient in the use of relevant software, such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign, and must be able to demonstrate familiarity with print and online content management systems.

Desired attributes include knowledge of AP style and excellent spelling and grammar skills. Respect for and adherence to deadlines in a pressure-filled environment is absolutely necessary.

Salaries will be negotiated with individual candidates according to their circumstances, but the starting range is US$54,000 to US$72,000, plus health insurance and pension benefits – but no local income tax.

Apply by email with cover letter, CV/resume and examples of previously published work to pbrendel@pinnaclemedialtd.com.

From: JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking Sports Editor

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Beautiful place with amazing SCUBA diving.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I launder all my money there. Good weed, too!

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Salary seems decent, but what is the cost of living like?

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I looked at that and it's actually pretty comparable to the U.S. I was curious about it as well. Grocery items are a tad more expensive, but less than a dollar more. Rent and mortgage costs aren't bad.
    I was kind of surprised by that.

Batman likes this.
  6. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

There are two sets of figures. Cayman Islands dollars and U.S. dollars. (CI$1 is about US$1.25) Housing costs are 45 percent more than the U.S. average; food from grocery stores is 15 to 25 percent higher.
    A couple of things are cheaper, like auto insurance and gasoline. But overall, cost of living is a little higher than Miami.

Batman likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Can't be higher than Boston. I'm not taking the job, too old, but if you already live in a high cost US metropolis....

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The JV money launderers work just as hard!

HanSenSE and Michael_ Gee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted