1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Casper, WY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WordWriter, May 26, 2010.

1. WordWriter

WordWriter Member

Wyoming's leading newspaper is looking for a versatile, motivated person to lead a talented staff.

Few newspapers our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune. Our past hires are reaching their goals at larger papers in Denver, Illinois, North Carolina, Kansas and, most recently, Tennessee and Los Angeles. And still others have moved up to managerial positions.

Our next sports editor will lead a five-person team, directing an award-winning section and managing our growing online sports products. This person will be versatile enough to write or paginate as needed, while executing a long-term vision for the section. We're looking for someone who works and wants to be the best.

Our statewide circulation of just under 30,000 makes us the most prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section and staff members have won 33 APSE awards since 1995, including three in 2009. The addition to our staff will be expected to continue that excellence.

Writing and Quark or InDesign experience is required; supervisory or CMS experience will set you apart from other candidates. You'll need a bachelor's degree, excellent verbal skills, and strong attention to detail. Meanwhile, you'll live and play amid Wyoming's outdoor splendor. We're about a four-hour drive north of Denver.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our website at www.trib.com. Learn about our parent company at www.lee.net.

Apply online at www.trib.com/workhere/

Please post links to your work as directed.

If you have trouble with the links or attachments, e-mail them to david.mayberry@trib.com.

So, what's up with this?
    When we had the opening came up, I requested to hire a sports editor (I supervise the sports and city desks, and it was beginning to be a bit much) but was given the indication that wouldn't happen for months at the earliest. Today, that has changed. So we're no longer accepting applications for a sports copy editor, rather a sports editor.
    I'll keep my hands in sports (the SE will report to me), but it will primarily be in the big-event and big-project stuff - when and where additional help is needed the most. The new SE will be responsible for day-to-day operations, including some desk work. We will be shifting to a UD in the coming months, so some of that burden will be shared throughout the newsroom.
    In addition to my almost 12 years here, former CST SE Ron Gullberg is the managing editor and there are talented people (all with varying degrees of experience) on the staff.
    PM with questions.
    Thanks.
    David Mayberry

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Who left, and to where?

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Not a bad gig at all.

4. azom

azom Member

I spent four years working in sports for the CST, so if you have questions, feel free to PM them to me.

In a sentence, the situation is that a copy editor left the business, the editor for both city and sports (David) is moving over to city, and the open copy editor position will now be used to hire a sports editor. Maybe a tad confusing, but still a great opportunity to lead a section with a proven staff.

5. nmsports

nmsports Member

I've worked with David for several years on a freelance basis and have nothing but praise for him. I've also met several of the writers along the way. Good, hard workers. Good luck to the applicants. Should be a good gig.

6. WordWriter

WordWriter Member

We had a couple of candidates accept other offers, so we will be posting this position again in the next few days. The online application form will be at the same site (http://www.trib.com/workhere/); feel free to forward work samples to my address.

7. Have seen a number of people move up from paper which does a quality job covering state sports at all levels.

8. Scouter

Scouter Member

This position has been filled. (Not by me)

Draft saved Draft deleted