1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor | Caro, Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Apr 13, 2017.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

The Advertiser in Caro, MI., has an immediate opening for a sports editor.

This editor's primary responsibilities are thoughtful leadership of the twice-weekly

print sports sections and contributions to social media . The core requirements

include previous experience as a sports writer and a love for high school sports.

Pagination skills and a journalism degree are a plus.

The Advertiser is a community-focused, twice-weekly newspaper. It was named a

finalist for the 2016 Michigan Press Association newspaper of the year in its

division.

Prospective candidates should make their interest known as soon as possible. To

apply, please submit a brief letter of introduction, current resume, names of three

references, and examples of your best work. Please mention SPORTS EDITOR in

the subject line when applying to john@tcadvertiser.com.

2. Bigmac12

Bigmac12 New Member

Has anyone heard anything about this job?

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This was my former job a decade ago and I still have some contact with people that work there or used to work there and know what's going on.
    I am told the former SE became the new ME and is looking for a replacement. But I haven't heard if they have made a hire yet.

The paper is basically all high school coverage and it covers about a dozen schools or so (my memory is a bit foggy since it was a few jobs ago) and about 3 conferences. There was a summer baseball league in town. There are a few very good teams in almost every sport, so expect to make a lot of state title runs in especially football, softball, volleyball and wrestling. It's a 1-man shop though and deadlines are tough. Shoot, write, edit and layout. It's a good step for someone that has never been in charge of a shop, but it's tough and the hours can be rough. I also did local sports talk radio while there, not sure if that is still tied in though.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You get to cover the local team, the Corn Syrups.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Trust me...there is plenty of corn around there to justify that name.

Draft saved Draft deleted