1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Calhoun, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Dec 19, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Absolutely none of that has anything to do with the Calhoun Times. Getting charlie foxtrotted by the GSP could just as easily have happened in Tifton.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Don't ever underestimate the advanced intelligence of the GSP canines. Smarter than most sheriff's deputies, by the way ;)

Hey, novelist wannabe, shouldn't that sig read three more years since everyone knows Mr. Ball can't freakin' count!

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Reginald's recent misadventures in the classroom are definitely hurting the movement. Since he apparently has played his last game for compensation, one would think he'd be a little more cooperative.

4. Georgiaguy

Georgiaguy Member

I wish I had a lot of good things to say about this job, but I just can't do it. I once worked for the News Publishing Co. which owns the Calhoun paper as well as the Rome paper which is the daily in the chain.
    As someone mentioned, John Willis is a good guy, but some of the people that make the higher up decisions in this company are out to squeeze every drop out of every penny.
    The benefits are not bad, and Calhoun is not a bad place to live. The sports folks in Rome are good people too and you will work with them as well as the other weeklies.
    If you are willing to work for little pay and work all the time then this is the place for you to go. You will get a chance to do it all, layout, take pics, and write to your hearts content. But be forewarned, this is a place to get some clips and move along.

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

By this time next year, Mr. Ball should be familiar with uttering the term "Wha-ya have, wha-ya have" at the teeming huddled masses in search of naked steaks and jumbo FOs.
    Or maybe he can park my vehicle, the Champagne Room, a few blocks up Spring Street for me.

And a note on the Rome guys. Jim O'Hara is a pretty good dude. Calhoun is in a beautiful area. You wouldn't think a small town like that would have bad traffic, but I been caught in it a couple of times.

6. Floyd

Floyd Member

Not sure if this ever came up, but what's the pay scale on this job?

7. prhack

prhack Member

Interesting question. When I worked there back in the mid '90s, it was Ramon Noodles bad. According to one source who would know, the money they were willing to throw around when this job last came open was surprisingly generous, given the size of the paper and the fact that it's not a daily. Not saying they would shoot the moon for everyone and anyone, but the money could be better than you think.

8. prhack

prhack Member

Second what bigbadeagle has to say about Jim. He was a mentor of mine in my younger days, and there are a lot of guys who have worked for him who would say the same (several of whom are semi-regular posters on sj). When you work for the Times or any other News Publishing paper, you're basically a beat writer for the RN-T covering the schools in your area (in this case, Calhoun, Gordon Central and a new school called Sonoraville). There are also the mundane things you'll get at any weekly or semi-weekly (bowling scores still give me the willies), but you'll get a good number of daily bylines and a bit of daily deadline experience (especially during football season). For years, the Calhoun office was actually nicer than the RN-T's, which is funny given the fact that the RN-T is the "mother ship." John Willis is a good guy too. Spent years as the business writer at the RN-T before taking the reigns at the Times. All in all, there are a lot worse places to start out.

Draft saved Draft deleted