1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Bowling Green, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 30, 2019.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Not to mention the job title here is sports editor.

2. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

I make almost $30K as the lone sports guy at a twice-a-week shop where we definitely do not cover a Division I beat.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Shhh. You're blowing the curve.

4. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Not to derail this into talking about The Manhattan Mercury instead of the actual opening, but the sports editor and K-State beat writer at The Mercury are one and the same position. It didn't used to be that way, but ya know ... "do more with less!"

RonClements and Waldo9939 like this.
  5. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Already has. Not that that matters or anything.

6. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

U right. That ship's done sailed.

To get it turned around, we need someone to come on here who's familiar with the town and talk about their favorite bar or restaurant or somesuch, or how someone at this shop is "good people."

7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Even in Bowling Green, Ohio, you can't live in $30k. You'd need a second job and since this looks like a one-man shop at a daily, not sure when time for that would arise. So glad to be out of this shit business.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Like I said ...

Hermes likes this.
  9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

This should be added to the job description. You won't have any money for retirement, an apartment with more than one bedroom or hopes of ever owning a car with less than 150,000 miles, but it is possible to survive on the money we pay. Plus you're in the middle of all the MAC-tion!

Hermes likes this.
  10. Jesse Garon

Jesse Garon New Member

According to wikipedia for Bowling Green Ohio the median income for a household in the city was $30,599, and the median income for a family was $51,804. Males had a median income of $33,619 versus $25,364 for females.

Low cost of living and other affordable locations nearby. Toledo to the north and Findlay to the south. Not a bad deal considering what other papers in the area are paying.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Data I just saw says the median income is $33,562. Also has a poverty rate of almost 36%, which is almost three times the national average.

But you're definitely missing the point.

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

And if you remove the part of the population employed by the university, which is sizeable, those numbers get far worse. It's rural America for sure. I worked at a similar paper an hour to the east and made more than that 20 years ago, just as a writer. As an SE? That's pathetic. The drive-thru at the local McDonald's has a sign up saying $15/hour.

Seminole&Hoosier likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted