1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Bowling Green, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, Jul 26, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey everyone: Journalismjobs has a sports editor job posted for the Bowling Green Daily News in Kentucky. I see its publisher is News Publishing LLC and the paper looks pretty decent from the front page (and on the web). Anyone have insight on what the place is about?

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

One of my college roomate's brothers used to work there. Not usre about the paper, but Bowling green is nice. Close to Nashville, not too far from Louisville.

You have to deal with Western Kentucky student who I'm usre think they know everything. But I've never heard horror stories, if that's what you're looking for.

Good high school and Western Kentucky sports. Football team just went D-1, and the hoops teams is a big draw.

3. This dept. has four full-time spots that include both writing and desk responsibilities.

SE
    WKU football
    WKU men's basketball
    WKU women's basketball

They all chip in on high schools. They've always gotten stringers from WKU to help out with preps.
    Apparently, management wants some fresh blood because SE O.J. Stapleton has been there a while and the climate has become kind of stale. They recently lost their football writer to a radio station full-time and are using this opportunity to bring in some type of Executive Sports Editor to develop a new direction.

Last time I checked it was in the 20,000-25,000 range, but a good college town to start in. They cover the Titans some, and sometimes travel to Lexington for UK stuff.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That seems a bit harsh.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

The second-best Bowling Green in the tri-state area.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I've covered the Kentucky football and basketball beats and the BG Daily News is rarely in Lexington. I can't remember the last UK function I saw them staff (if they're at UK's media day Friday morning I'll be surprised).

That being said, the BG Daily News has a sharp web site and great photogs, especially Joel Imel. I've been less than impressed with their print design (many folks from down there say the WKU Herald student paper is better in layout).

The sports staff there is full of good peeps. We deal with them often during prep football season since one of its Big 4 coverage schools is in a district with many of our coverage schools.

Paper is driven by preps and all things WKU. And the preps down there are pretty good. Bowling Green High (independent) is a powerhouse football team and won the boys' soccer title last year. Greenwood (county) won the state softball title, is solid in girls' hoops and volleyball. Warren Central (county) has one of the top boys' hoops programs in the state.

And in the winter, you don't have to worry about wrestling since no one in that area of the state bothers to field a team: Just hoops and swimming.

BG is hour-ish from Nashville and two from Louisville. City is booming - was or is among KY's fastest growing - and is soaking wet.

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

There's a White Castle just off the interstate in Bowling Green.

That's all I can contribute to this thread.

8. turnovers

turnovers Member

Wow 20-25k for an SE? Bowling Green's cost of living is low, but still -- if the pape wants to hire a spark, I'd think it would need to be for more than a bank teller.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd be willing to wager that the number in question is their circulation. Because no, I can't imagine a paper that size paying its top sports person 20K a year.

10. turnovers

turnovers Member

You're probably right. I haven't had enough coffee today. :)

Anyone have a guess on salary for this gig?

11. Stupid comment. Guy's been busting his butt for years. Go rag on someone who doesn't give a shit about his/her job rather than someone who does. Fuckstick.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The news-side there hired someone from our news staff a little while back, and we were all very, very relieved. Take that as you will.

Draft saved Draft deleted