1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Beaumont, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportschick, Feb 6, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The paper posted 4 or 5 openings today, so I don't know if a hiring freeze was lifted or if something else is going on.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=880740

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Holy crap. This is a big one.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wondered when they would post this. Peters got hired as the High Schools editor (or something like that) at the Chronicle and started last week or so.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Just curious, but what does an SE at a paper this size typically make?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's a 55K circulation, so I'd have to say it's decent pay. 40-45? 50?

It is Hearst, which has had its share of problems, but overall it's a decent chain.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the multiple openings in that newsroom. Makes me wonder if there was some kind of purge.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm trying to find out about that, but the SE left because the Houston Chronicle came calling, not because of a purge.

8. Many, many years ago I once worked with Michael Peters. He is a terrific, terrific guy. Good for him on landing at the Chronicle.

Don't know what the Enterprise pays a sports editor, but pay for other employees (in the past, at least) hasn't been great. About a decade ago, a friend of mine interviewed for the position of news editor, and the pay range was somewhere between $28K and $30K. Again, this was in the mid-90s, but as we all well know, the pay ain't great in this profession no matter what decade you live in.

Lots of great high schools in the Enterprise's coverage area, and football is obviously king. Lamar University is also starting up football again, so that will be a lot of fun. I think lately the sports section has used up a lot of space with wire copy when there's a lot going on locally, but that's just me.

9. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

I was Mike Peters' predecessor before returning to Missouri, so you can feel free to PM me with any questions about Beaumont or the Enterprise. The sports editor works with the universal desk on producing the section and manages the writing staff.
    The chance to work for editor Tim Kelly, who was in sports at the Dallas Morning News, San Antonio Light and Seattle Post-Intelligencer before becoming editor of The Enterprise about 10 years ago, is definitely worth the experience.
    Toby Carrig
    Southeast Missourian

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, missouri sucks less than texas i take it?

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Tom, I think they pronounce it Missourah down in the Cape.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how do they pronounce the word sucks?

Draft saved Draft deleted