1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Beaumont (Texas) Enterprise

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Jun 12, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Didn't Beaumont have some layoffs or buyouts not too long ago, but now they're hiring?

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah, but this is for an SE spot. Figure it has to be filled.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Beaumont has had 24 layoffs since mid-September...Seven just before Hurricane Ike hit and after the storm, they let go of the press crew and outsourced printing operations to Houston, another Hearst paper.

As you can imagine, that move has led to a further circulation decline caused by a combination of the adjustment period for circulation and the readers realizing that the late news was no longer making the paper (can you say no Cowboys MNF game in Tuesday's paper?).

There have been adjustments made, but for sports it's mostly about damage control. Sports without late news is, well...

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Congratulations go out to Christopher Dabe, who was promoted from within for this position. His promotion creates a staff opening that will be filled.

Does that mean entry level? Maybe. But there is a Lamar beat that may need filling here (or preps, or GA, I'm not 100 percent sure). I know there are some who have already applied for that one...well, you may get calls for it after all if you are still interested.

If that's the case, PM me and I think I can point you in the right direction.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Good news for Dabe. Here's hoping he can quickly find a new hire for that opening.

Draft saved Draft deleted