1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Beaumont (Texas) Enterprise

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Jun 12, 2008.

1. healingman

healingman Guest

Congrats to Gary. Never met him personally or anything, yet I know that this opportunity offers a great boost for his career. Being in that area for that length of time, plus his knowledge of Southland Conference sports, are big pluses for the Enterprise. I wish him all the best.

2. Congrats to Gary. Beaumont isn't too far from Houston from what I understand. That could be fun.

3. healingman

healingman Guest

Bumping this up -- job re-posted on jjobs.com

Here's link and job description:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1000819

Company: Beaumont Enterprise
    Position:
    SPORTS EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    January 6, 2009
    Job ID: 1000819

Description:
    The Beaumont Enterprise seeks a sports editor who will oversee four reporters and serve as a clearinghouse for all assignments, identifying opportunities for daily stories and long term enterprise. Also responsible for contributing ideas and content to the website, including updating the local sports database and providing video to the site.

The ideal candidate will have good communication, organization and leadership skills; multimedia experience and mindset; the ability to multi-task and stay organized in a fast-paced environment; a collaborative management style with the ability to effectively manage reporters of diverse skills and personalities; and local news sensibilities, including an ability to size up readers’ needs and a desire to get to know the communities and their people.

The Beaumont Enterprise, a 50,000 circulation daily, is part of the Hearst Corporation. It is located in Southeast Texas, which offers some of the lowest cost of living in the country (and there’s no state income tax), plus diverse shopping, restaurants and entertainment. Beaumont, unlike the rest of the country, is in the middle of an economic boom, with millions in expansion underway in area businesses. Nestled in the piney East Texas woods, Beaumont is at the epicenter of a water-lover’s paradise, with lakes, rivers, bays and the Gulf of Mexico nearby. The city is a short drive from Houston and Galveston.

And there's lots of room for advancement, both within our newsroom and with Hearst.

Send cover letter, resume, references and samples of work to Kris Worrell, Managing Editor, Beaumont Enterprise, P.O. Box 3071, Beaumont, TX 77704 or kworrell@hearstnp.com.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

As noted on another thread, Gary Laney is leaving Beaumont to do some LSU stuff at the Baton Rouge Advocate. That creates an opening here. PM me with questions.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

not to be a dick, but I'm left wondering if this is an actual opening or just being done as a way to collect resumes or fill some job posting policy before the interim guy (who based on the Baton Rouge thread has also applied) takes over.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

That's not unreasonable. But I do know they have been filling other unfilled management positions, including an assistant ME position that's currently opening. They didn't do the promote-and-hire-entry-level trick with that one.

In my opinion, they could do a lot worse than promote in this case though. I think the in-house candidate is promising.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wow! a paper that's actually hiring instead of forcing the old standby of "more with less."
    more power to them.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

well, they do have ridiculously early deadlines, so they have that going against them.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

how ridiculously early?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I believe its 10 p.m.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn! do they have multiple editions, cause I can't imagine them getting enough scores in the paper to be relevant with such an early deadline

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Welcome to Beaumont.

Draft saved Draft deleted