1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Beaumont (Texas) Enterprise

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Jun 12, 2008.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

The three jobs thing is very likely just random. It's happened at my rag a couple times. Summer starts and you have some turnover.

As for Beaumont, Brian Griffin has given a good description of the area. I will say I've known several people on news and photo go to there and hate it...the area in general. I've only heard one say he didn't really like management.

I know some of the names on the sports staff, they seemed liked decent guys, have no clue about their work ethic or if indeed they are stuck in their ways. If that's true it would be a diifficult job for a young editor to motivate them, but could also be a nice challenge.

Good luck to whoever gets it.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Did you get any indication on pay?

3. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

No indication on anything. It was more of a "we want to know if you fit the personality mold" than a Q&A.

4. healingman

healingman Guest

bump -- any news?

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

you're hired!

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

7. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Bump -- any other news other than when I start? ;D

8. BrianGriffin

They've done some interviews. Other than that, I don't know.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

An offer's been made. I expect this to be filled today.

10. BrianGriffin

And it has been filled.

On a related topic, a D-I beat may have just opened up...stay tuned. It would be a decent job for somebody. Let's see if it gets filled in-house first.

11. D-I beat, you say? What kind of paper is it, numbers and crew-wise? Any idea on salary?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Gary Laney, who's had the McNeese State beat at the (Lake Charles, La.) American Press since January 1998 (and for the next two weeks), accepted the Beaumont gig Monday afternoon. Congratulations, Gary.

He knows the Southland Conference (and the artist formerly known as I-AA) as well as anybody, which will be helpful in shaping the paper's Lamar coverage as the Cardinals revive their football program. Speaking of the Southland, unless the American Press gets an in-house person to agree to take the McNeese State beat (and I understand an offer -- and plea -- will be made Tuesday), that job will need to be filled quickly with football season nearing.

BrianGriffin knows more about the current lay of the land in Lake Charles than I do, but I've got some knowledge. I'd say wait a day or two to see if that beat isn't filled in-house, and if there's a posting on here for Lake Charles, PM me for some basics, and I'm sure BrianGriffin could handle more specific questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted