1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Beaufort (S.C.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sblust, Nov 26, 2007.

1. sblust

sblust Member

The Beaufort Gazette is looking for a sports editor.

We're a 12,000-circulation McClatchy daily on the southern coast of South Carolina, about halfway between Charleston and Savannah. Dave Hale, who has done a great job for us as sports editor for the last seven years, is leaving in December for a job on the sports desk of the Post and Courier in Charleston. Dave grew up in Charleston, and though I tried to keep him, the lure of working in his hometown was strong.

We have a four-person sports staff that focuses on preps and the numerous recreational sports our area has to offer. For those who haven't been to the Lowcountry of South Carolina, it's a gorgeous part of the country. Downtown Beaufort is 30 minutes from a beautiful beach on the Atlantic Ocean.

This would be a great job for an assistant at a larger paper who wants to run his own department. The job will be about 95 percent desk, with occasional opportunities to write. You'll need good organizational and scheduling skills; for an area with no professional or major-college sports, we have a lot going on down here.

And following up on a previous post, we're still looking for an assistant sports editor, though we're closing in. Given the timing of Dave's departure, we're probably going to hire the assistant first and have him in place before the new sports editor arrives.

Salary for the sports editor position will be in the low to mid-$40,000s. We offer the full benefits package, including 401(k), medical, dental and vision.

Interested candidates should apply to me as soon as possible at the address below. Please include a cover letter, resume with three references and examples of your page designs (and writing if you think it's appropriate). I am reachable at sblust@beaufortgazette.com or 843-986-5530 if you have questions.

Steve Blust, Executive Editor
    Beaufort Gazette
    P.O. Box 399
    Beaufort, SC 29901-0399

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Great opportunity for somebody out there. Replacing Dave Hale, however, is always a tough task. I had that challenge seven years ago when he left Aiken, S.C., for Beaufort.

From what I've heard, Steve Blust is a good guy to work for, and the Beaufort Gazette really puts a lot of resources into its product for a small newspaper. I'm at a paper in S.C. with 4,000 more subscribers than Beaufort and probably with more to cover (school-wise), but I've got three full-time employees in sports. Beaufort has four. That should say a lot about how much they're willing to put into the product.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

A good person could (working w/ Steve) make this one of the best small sections in the southeast.
    For any flair they're missing, they can make up with great writing. The area will also attract good people.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Steve Blust is an outstanding guy.

5. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I was most taken aback by the salary -- 40-45K.

I have no idea what part of the state Beaufort is in. Is there a high cost of living there, or does this place just really pay well.?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Are you cashing your first check and buying a condo? No, but you're right, that's decent money for anywhere in South Carolina.

7. sblust

sblust Member

We're on the southern coast, where it's more expensive than in other parts of the state. But everything is relative. If you're coming from California, as I did three years ago, it's cheaper here. If you're coming from most other locations in the South, it's more expensive here.

The salary is more than many 12K papers pay for a department head position, but we're serious about wanting to hire someone who's very good.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Isn't that the truth. It is one of the more expensive parts of S.C. to live in, but like any place, there are always deals to be had.

9. sblust

sblust Member

We've made a hire.

Lance Hanlin, former sports editor at papers in Idaho Falls, Idaho, and Sikeston, Mo., and more recently on the sports desk of the Southern Illinoisan in Carbondale, joins our staff today as sports editor.

We had a strong field of applicants, many of whom read this board regularly. Thank you to everyone who applied.

We're still looking for an assistant sports editor, a position that involves virtually all production work. We had some good applicants for that opening but not the perfect applicant, and now that Lance is on board, I want him to have considerable input on who his No. 2 will be. The salary for the ASE position is $35,000. If you haven't yet applied but are interested, send a cover letter, resume with three references and examples of your page designs to:

Steve Blust, Executive Editor
    Beaufort Gazette
    P.O. Box 399
    Beaufort, SC 29901-0399

If you have questions, contact me at sblust@beaufortgazette.com or 843-986-5530. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted