1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Baytown, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sports Editor, The Baytown Sun - publishes 5 days plus daily web edition, located outside the Houston area. 5 high schools in our coverage area. We need someone who can wear alot of different hats – page designer, sports writer, coordinating assignments, maintaining deadlines and experience with web pages. We offer competitive pay, a good benefits package. E-mail resumes to janie.halter@baytownsun.com, or mail them to Janie Halter, The Baytown Sun, 1301 Memorial Drive, Baytown, TX. 77520.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Did Dave Rogers leave Baytown? (Good dude.)

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Baytown is your run-of-the-mill east Houston suburb, which means it's loaded down with oil refineries and allied industries. But it's also a straight shot down TX 146 to Kemah, which is a cool little resort area.

As you'd imagine, the high school football in the area is excellent. Baytown Lee is a powerhouse, having churned out a slew of top-flight Division I QBs in recent years -- Clint Stoerner, Drew Tate and Brian Johnson (Utah) among them.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Kemah got whalloped pretty good by Ike. Should be all the way back by now.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Baytown is sort of a rough place as Steak said. The West Houston suburbs -- Katy, Sugarland, Tomball, are more idyllic. But I would suspect Baytown is cheap and there are some nice areas in places like Mont Belvieu, an adjoining town. Baytown is big enough where while it's a suburb of Houston, one might call Mont Belvieu a suburb of Baytown.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Having worked there at my first gig, 1980 until summer of '82, I can tell you the refinery smell NEVER leaves.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Jesus is right. Though it's not as bad these days as it was in the 80s.
    And nowhere close to that bad whiff of wind you can catch on a bad day in Lubbock or Amarillo.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Come, come, now. Organic is always preferable to chemical.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can also attest that Kemah is a pretty cool little village.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Passed through there last month on my way to my parents' house, and you can't even tell anything had happened there. Kids took a day trip to Moody Gardens while we were there, and they said Galveston is pretty much fully back as well.

11. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Job opened again: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1192629

12. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Wasn't there another opening here just recently?

Draft saved Draft deleted