1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Atlanta, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

West Metro sports editor in metro Atlanta area wanted for the Neighbor Newspapers, a group of weekly newspapers in the metro Atlanta area. We are looking a smart and hungry journalists eager to get their feet wet in the newspaper business. Candidates must have a college degree or equivalent major, as well as experience with their college newspaper and/or an internship. Local candidates will be considered above all others. You must have reliable transportation. Send a resume and clips to: Brian Clark, bclark@neighbornewspapers.com. NO PHONE CALLS.
  2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I soon as I saw "Sports Editor, Atlanta, Ga." as the thread title, I smelled "Neighbor Newspapers" coming right down Peachtree.
    Either that or cooked cabbage.
  3. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

So its not worth doing??
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It will be worth doing for someone. But check the archives here; Neighbor Newspapers have not been among the most beloved chains.
  5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fine, I'll add the offer of a beer purchased by me for the recipient of this job if you write me to cash in, as the Atlanta Falcons hire did. :D
  6. Point of Info. Neighbor Newspapers are regionalized weeklies owned/run by the same folks who own/run the Marietta Daily Journal.

As playthrough points out, it'll be worth doing for someone in the right set of circumstances, but a definite caveat emptor goes out to anyone that applies here. Just do an archive search for "Neighbor Newspapers" or "Marietta Daily Journal" and you'll be busy for a while.
  7. ArnoldPalmer

ArnoldPalmer New Member

What do you mean by 'right set of circumstances?'
  8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know the powers that be believe that writing talent is easy to find but at some point, you wonder when will it kick in that if you treat people fairly, give them a decent wage, that perhaps your product will be better and you won't have to keep posting job vacancies?
  9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Recently paroled?
  10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's clear that the Brumby Reich does not care. 'Tis cheaper to continue engineering turnover than it is to keep people, which involves giving raises.
  11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Just a quick point of order here ... John Bednarowski has done a tremendous job of turning around the Marietta sports department. Triple Crown for small papers this past year, if I recall correctly.

Can't speak to this specific gig, though.
  12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Bingo. We have a winner.

I do not know Mr. Bednarowski nor know much of the current MDJ sports section. But I can tell you this ... there have been periods when it has been damn good, in spite of the Gulag on Fairground Street atmosphere.
Draft saved Draft deleted