1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Atlanta, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

FROM JOURNALISMJOBS.COM:
    (Most on these threads know exactly where this place is but notice where they say it is. Somewhat misleading advertisement.)

MSJSPORTS EDITOR: Suburban Atlanta newspapers seek sports editor to supervise coverage and production of sports section in metro Atlanta weekly. Prior experience as sports editor preferred. Individual must be highly-motivated and hard-working. Email resume to mmaguire@neighbornewspapers.com or fax 770-428-5375. NO PHONE CALLS.

2. Uh oh. A Neighbor opening.

3...2...1...RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!!!!!!!

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Change the slug please: It's Marietta, not Atlanta.

And no, you don't want to apply there. Forget ever covering anything in Fulton County for as long as you work there.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

... which likely will be less than six months, if the average from the past 20 years holds true.

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

To be fair (though one could argue that Neighbor doesn't deserve that), it's been said that being the SE for one of these weeklies is a better gig than being anything at the mothership in Marietta, if only because Brumby, et al., don't give much of a shit about the weeklies and won't be all up in your face about what you're doing there. Obviously, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. But when basically nobody's hiring for much of anything, this is at least full-time employment for somebody who can make it work financially until the economy improves and they can get a real job.

6. ickeywoods

ickeywoods New Member

Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm new to this site and am also about to be new to Atlanta, so can someone fill me in on the good, the bad and the ugly of this position. On the neighbor site, there are like 72 different papers, so how do you know this opening is marietta? What kind of pay can be expected? From what I see, it looks like it means writing about 4 articles per week, it can't be that bad? Someone talk, please, I want to know everything... I also want to know why the New Orleans Hornets are terrible, but we can answer that another time.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

ickey: there has been a litany of threads about the working environment of the MDJ. Perhaps because there has been a litany of good people who went through there and got chewed up.

There's no real need to rehash all of it on this thread. Here's a link to an earlier one.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/46595/

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

1. You can, in fact, be pretty sure it's not Marietta. And yes, there are many.
    2. You can expect the pay to be low and never go up, though that's becoming less and less uniquely shitty by the day, it seems. $20K-ish.
    3. Honestly, as I wrote earlier, this might be a less stressful job than an MDJ one. And relatively speaking, it's probably not as bad a gig as it was a few years ago. If you can afford to live on the meager salary, have no interest in producing anything of any substance and just want a job, they're one of the few who are hiring at the moment.

If you have any more detailed questions, feel free to PM me, ickey. I'll try to help out as best as I can.

Draft saved Draft deleted