1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Athens (Ga.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Kaltefleiter, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Beardface

Dr. Beardface New Member

Not to be snarky or a jerk, but exactly what are the qualifications here? Other than being "good people" for five SJ regulars. Nothing against him, but the filter for what qualifies people for jobs on here is pretty comical. His predecessors were, I believe, older and had more experience in every way.
    Of course, this is Morris, and this is a different newspaper world.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Ching (sp?) is perfect for a number of reasons:
    1. The SEC is the bread and butter of the Athens paper. Someone who has already dealt with the SEC knows Georgia because The Bulldogs are at the very least relevant in nearly every sport.
    2. 30k-60k circ papers aren't going to get a ton of apps from sports editors at bigger papers w/o having to worry about A. Ego, B. Salary considerations, or C. someone who got canned (please don't read laid off -- that's different). When you eliminate those three, you very much change your pool of candidate.
    3. Athens is a stepping stone, and the higher ups realize it. If Ching doesn't work out, they know he's probably not a lifer anyway. Either he'll do a good job (from everything I've read about him), and he'll move on to something better, or he'll flop and the job will be open again in 18 months. Either way, it's low risk.

Put all that together, and he seems like a good candidate.

3. The Dude

The Dude New Member

I'm sure David wouldn't want me to do this, but I'm going to anyway.

Ching is plenty qualified for this job. He's been in the business for close to 10 years. He's been covering UGA football for the last couple of years ... he had just moved to the Auburn beat. So he's got a very good feel for the landscape in Athens, as well as the SEC.

He has a good deal of desk experience, at Columbus and at smaller papers. And he's run his own section before. In a smaller spot, yes, but he has been in the decision-maker's chair before. Plus he's a good writer with very good news sense.

I'm not sure what other qualifications you're looking for, but I think the Athens folks did well for themselves. And no, I'm not David, but I have worked with him.

4. rascalface

rascalface Member

I'm a little late to the party, but I want to wish all my best to Texas. He is most definitely good people. He's also batshit crazy, but I mean that in the most endearing way possible.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've got to chime in with best wishes for both here

1. john, i hope all works out in texas. although, i've always wondered what john is called in texas, since in georgia he's always been 'john from texas'. is he 'john from walnut street'? anyway, one of my favorite people in the world...

2. ching, i'm excited to see what you can do with that section. i loved what you did on that beat, really enjoyed your work, and now you've got a great opportunity with a great section. and you get to stay in athens. great work.

6. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

thanks hoops. i'm just glad to see someone still thinks i'm young. my nonexistent hairline begs to differ.
    dc

7. reporter1

reporter1 Member

Good luck DC!

8. Hurricane J

Hurricane J New Member

Good thing he's not qualified to cover Georgia football for the idiots in Macon.

Good hire for Athens. Major loss for Columbus. Everyone (and I mean everyone) in Macon should be ashamed and they're about to have it handed to them in spades. Daniel Shirley is putz.

9. Hurricane,
    I think that's a first for me. Never been called a Putz before. Losing David Ching was indeed a loss for our company, and I wish him well in Athens and am sure he'll do a great job over there. But we got a great UGA writer, as well, in David Hale, and he's doing a terrific job.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think somebody just got served! :D

Well done, Daniel.

11. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Perhaps the dumbest, most spiteful, immature comment I've ever seen on here. No reason to go there at all.

Daniel Shirley is one of the best sports editors in the business. I don't know David Ching, but I do know David Hale and he was a tremendous hire. It sure does take balls to rip someone behind an anonymous username. But anyone (and I mean anyone) who talks such trash, I'd bet, has not sniffed the big-time of this profession.

As for the "Handed to them in spades" line ... I'm not going to knock good friends in Athens, but Macon has been pretty dang solid on that beat and will continue to be in the future. I'm sure Mr. Hurricane is much better though, right hoss?

12. Hurricane J

Hurricane J New Member

FlipSide,

Have you been reading this board for more than two weeks? My comment was truthful. Spiteful? Sure.

Certainly immature. But not dumb.

Macon and Albany does not make you a great sports editor. Line up all those APSE section awards for me.

Ching will help the B-H hammer Macon. Some people just have no eye for talent or understanding of this business. Mistakes were made and need to be recognized. Daniel Shirley made a mistake and I'm recognizing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.