1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Athens (Ga.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Kaltefleiter, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Kaltefleiter

John Kaltefleiter New Member

To my colleagues,
    I wanted to let you all know that I will be stepping down as sports editor of the Athens Banner-Herald, effective Sept. 1. My wife and 2-year-old daughter are returning to Texas to help take of my widowed mother, whose health has declined in the last year or so. I'm leaving what I see one of the top sports gigs in the country, so my executive editor, Jason Winders, will be bombarded with resumes. His e-mail is jason.winders@onlineathens.com

Before you locate the nearest mailbox or hit the send button via e-mail, I do want to let you know what Jason will be looking for to replacement. Frankly, he needs a five-tool player. He needs somebody who can write, edit, layout and design and manage. Typically, the sports editor does two or three desk shifts a week and writes about three columns a week during the non-summer months.

This job is not entry level by any stretch. It probably requires at least four years of experience in the biz.

Anyway, if you want salary and hours information, please PM me and I will provide.

Hope everybody's having a great week.

-- John Kaltefleiter

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I wish you, your family and your mother the best, John.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Aww, man. Sorry to hear that, Tex. Best wishes to your family and hope your mom gets well.

ABH is losing one of the good ones. And my recommendation for this job is the same as it was on the thread when John got it in the first place.

4. Let me echo the sentiments of the previous posters, Tex. We'll be sorry to see you leave Georgia. You will be missed.

Hope all is well with your Mom, and all the best for your whole family.

5. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Having lost my own mother earlier this year, Tex, I prayer for the best for your mother and your family.

6. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

All the best, John. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

7. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

John,
    Wish I had something special to say, but I just wanted to extend best wishes to you and your family.

lg

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Tex,

I will raise one to you shortly.
    The Peach State will never be the same without you.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Here's the JJobs link, if that's important to anyone. Does the five-person team include the SE? Or is it five plus the SE? Either way, it's down from what it used to be.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/job_listing.cfm?jobid=958507

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I believe it's five plus the SE. When I was at the ABH we had seven, but they lost a position about three years ago.

And I do wish Texas the very best of luck.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It is five + the SE, so a six-man staff. Plus some quality stringer help.

12. Word is Scott Adamson of the Anderson Independent-Mail turned down an offer here. Anybody know who else they might offer it to? Any other finalists?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.