1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Atchison, Kan.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

My dad grew up in Atchison. His father was fire chief and my dad worked at the Pillsbury Plant as a teenager, shoveling grain out of train cars in the heat of summer. Dad played quarterback in high school, but back then playing quarterback in the single wing wasn't all that glamorous. You called signals and blocked.
    I lived there as a young boy because I didn't have a mom and my grandma helped raise me until I was about 5-6.
    I loved that town. Still do. So many wonderful memories. The river. The bluffs. Jackson Park. Brick streets (laid primarily by a legless man who could keep two wheelbarrows busy at one time). Cracking walnuts and raising honey with Grandpa. Grandma's country cookin' and the way I had to give her a kiss to get a cookie.
    I went back to visit about 3-4 years ago and fell in love all over again. They've done some real nice things down by the river.
    But I'm not going to be the SE at the paper there. Not gonna' happen.

2. beardown

beardown Member

I would hate to offend the almighty new ME after his 6-month gig as sports editor, but there are few jobs worse than this one. That's unless you like doing it all with no support for the poverty level. Then, by all means. I have way more insight on this one than Mr. Santana.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Let's see, twice-weekly, 3,500 circ. paper. It is what it is.
    Good company. Good resources. Great staff. ME who was a sports editor. A couple of already established stringers. Freedom to do your own thing and make a name for yourself. Plenty of opportunity for advancement. A few good story lines already brewing. Looks like a horrible job.
    It's not paradise, and you're not going to get rich.
    But to say there are few worse is simply wrong. For what it is, there are few better.
    Not sure who beardown is but he (or she) still has no clue. Or at least unreal expectations as to what the job should be.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Amelia Earhart was born here, I believe. So apply.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

What gave it away? Was it Amelia Earhart Highway, Amelia Earhart bridge, Amelia Earhart airport, Amelia Earhart's birthplace or Amelia Earhart stadium?

It was the stadium for me.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Although I appreciate you sharing your insight here, beardown, it's sort of ludicrous for you to claim you have more insight than the former SE and current ME. Perhaps you're more willing to divulge yours, but I would be willing to bet you don't have more insight than the guy running the show.

That said, when somebody is throwing up red flags like this one, I would suggest others should proceed with caution. Best of luck to all involved.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Job's been filled anyway. Apparently somebody thinks this gig isn't so terrible.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Who got the job?

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it so terrible. Could be a great place to live and work.

Hell, you're within driving distance to KC, St. Joseph, Omaha, Topeka and Lawrence.

Not to mention you're situated on the Missouri River.

Draft saved Draft deleted