1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Atchison, Kan.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 12, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=779637

Company: Atchison Globe
    Position:
    Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    February 16, 2008
    Job ID: 779637

Description:
    The Atchison Globe, a twice-weekly newspaper in northeast Kansas, is seeking a sports editor to join its award-winning staff. The Globe is a community-oriented newspaper located within 45 minutes of four metropolitan areas. Applicants should have at least a year of reporting experience, but we'll train the right individual. Recent college graduates with interning experience are encouraged to apply. The sports editor is responsible for writing and editing stories, as well as shooting photographs for the Sports section. Page design skills are also a plus. The sports editor will also be responsible for finding stringers to help cover local sporting events. Some night and weekend work are required. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and provide a benefits package including life, health, dental insurance, paid leave and a 401(k) retirement plan. The Globe is owned by the News-Press Gazette Co., which owns 22 newspapers in Kansas and Missouri. Send resume and work samples to Joe Warren, managing editor, Atchison Globe, PO Box 247, Atchison, KS, 66002, or e-mail to joewarren@npgco.com.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Wow, I think we all know someone for whom this is custom made.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Christmas may come late, but better late than never.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bob Dole?

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Bob Dole wants to be a sports editor. Bob Dole wants to produce a sports section. Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Someone hit Bob Dole's restart button. He's frozen.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've heard this place is a good springboard to Topeka and Santa Fe.

8. beardown

beardown Member

I would avoid this one at all costs. I used to work in the region and the sports editor was expected to work a 60-hour per-week minimum.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Beardown has no clue on this one. I was the SE (now the ME) and this job can be done in 40 hours per week. There are occasional longer weeks (as with any job like this), but never 60 hours.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My wife is a New York Mets/Carlos Beltran fan. Would that help? ;)

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It doesn't hurt

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Well done, WI.
    Well done indeed. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted