1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor at Sun Journal in New Bern, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not a bad location at all. This is close to Atlantic Beach. There are far worse places to live. Don't know that much about the paper itself but is a Freedom shop, which gives me pause.

Sports editor sought for late November start at Sun Journal (15K daily) in New Bern, NC. If you have the experience and knowledge for this spot, you know the drill and can tell me why you want it and how you would do it. At a minimum: 4 newsroom years with at least half of it in sports in a senior do-it-all (writing, editing, page design and production, maybe even photo) role. You are, or are prepared to be, a manager who can organize, coach and encourage the best from two talented staffers. You relish a senior role in the newsroom, because the only thing you love more than sports is journalism. Must-haves: InDesign and a serious interest in the Web. Lots of prep, Div 1 nearby. Salaried position, low-30s. Great town, near the beach. Comprehensive letter, resume, references, 3 varied clips and 3 .pdfs to jhuff@freedomenc.com by Nov.8.

2. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

PM me if you want any info...as I am the one leaving.

Quick note: If you want to apply, do it quickly. They want to hire ASAP.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I echo TH316: New Bern, where Pepsi was born, is a good town. It's close to the beach, and East Carolina University. Housing is reasonable, and there are a few places a young guy/gal could go to blow off steam after a deadline.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Lesboulez, where u going?

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

heading up N.C. 43 to greenville.

6. Just a heads-up, I lived in New Bern while working in Kinston about 10 years ago (those familiar with the Kinston area know why I chose the commute). It's about 35 minutes to Greenville for East Carolina, and about 35-45 to the coast from what I remember. It's also about 35 minutes to Jacksonville where Ms. Proudpittsburgher worked. It was a tourist kinda town with a nice and quaint downtown area. Brick-paved sidewalks, small shops and all. We lived in two-story apartments right near New Bern High School and they were very nice and very affordable. The one goofy thing I remeber was when I came home from work each night, there were always these little frogs on my door because of the air conditioning inside. The cost of living is very reasonable and I still miss the Harris Teeter grocery store there. If you are looking for management experience, this isn't a bad place to live to get it. I sent in a resume to there paper and remembered being impressed when I interviewed, of course, I wanted out of Kinston in the worst way. Either way, I was fortunate and moved on elsewhere, but if things haven't changed, there are worst places to work. FWIW, the wifey and I liked living there for the six months that we did.

Draft saved Draft deleted