1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Aspen, Colo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Aspen Times in beautiful Aspen, Colorado, is looking for a talented writer-editor to lead our sports and outdoors coverage for the region's largest daily paper and website. The right candidate is deadline-driven, communicates well, is passionate about local sports and can clearly demonstrate how to organize and grow readership in our daily sports section. Writing skills are essential, but so is time management. In a typical day, our sports editor will jump between covering a basketball game and an international ski race to laying out the section and posting stories to the web. This position will also manage our weekly Outdoors feature section on Saturdays by coordinating staff and freelance writers, columnists and content focused on the beautiful area where we live. Our sports editor must know InDesign, Photoshop, AP style and have a basic understanding of photography. The job requires consistent evening and weekend work, although powder-day rules do apply. Interested? Email resume, cover letter, and three writing clips to managing editor Rick Carroll at rcarroll@aspentimes.com. EOE.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

California! Beautiful!

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talkin' bout a little place called Aspen

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I dunno. The French are assholes.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

How close is it to Tahoe?

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

True. But expensive. You would probably have to live outside Aspen towards Glenwood Springs.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

In a typical day, our sports editor will jump between covering a basketball game and an international ski race to laying out the section and posting stories to the web.

I'd hate to see the agenda for heavy days.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One-person staff, right?

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

That John Denver's full of shit, man.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Definitely have heard some not great things about this place, but it's all on the news side. I can answer questions regarding that in PM.

11. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

This is a solo act, yes. I work in sports at a nearby shop within the company for those who have questions ...

12. turski7

turski7 Member

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

Draft saved Draft deleted