1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Antelope Valley Press, Palmdale, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

About $30,000.

Oh, and here's where you can get your job as a white male. The publisher hates women.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

What did this site do to you?

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Are you saying this is a $30k job? That's it? I have been an SE in a smaller market (about 14-15 percent smaller than the Antelope Valley with a similar relation to a major metro) with substantially cheap COL and the pay there was about 50 percent more than this place.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Would be a good reason this job has been posted six times.

5. Traveling

Traveling Member

It's not a 30K job. Not even close. At least from what I know, and I've talked with people who know.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I've investigated and hear it's more like in the low 40s. Of course, I'm guessing that's a pittance even in the outlying areas of LA compared to if you made $40 in, say, the gulf coast.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This would be a good opportunity to hire a minority journalist to be a sports editor. And a good opportunity for a minority journalist to apply.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Speaking from experience, you are totally incorrect on the pay "guess," Turtle.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Have they found the right person yet? The NY Times called out the paper today for highlighting Section 8 program violators.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/us/11housing.html?_r=1&ref=housing

10. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I'm sure they got that story because all their employees qualify for Section 8.

11. I'm beginning to think you've got a story to share with us about this place.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Filled. From APSE:

Jay Heater has returned to the Antelope Valley Press in Palmdale, Calif., as sports editor. He had left the paper in mid-2007.

He replaces former APSE third vice president Toby Carrig, who has returned to Missouri, at the St. Genevieve Herald.

Heater had most recently been the sports editor of the Idaho State Journal in Pocatello, where he also covered Idaho State football.

Chase Glorfield, who has been with the Journal since February, has been named interim sports editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted