1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Antelope Valley Press, Palmdale, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Nov 17, 2010.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Fourth reposting: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1223078

At what point do they realize they need to change something about the job or pay?

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

JJobs keeps posting the gig as "Editor." This may be causing some otherwise interested candidates to pass on the posting without even clicking on it.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Fifth reposting: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1223078

When will they decide they can't hire anyone for that pay/situation?

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Promote a staffer, I'm sure he'll take the pay raise.

5. Traveling

Traveling Member

Anyone curious about my dealings with this newspaper during its latest round of interviews, feel free to boardmail me.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe the staffers don't want the extra crap that goes with the title. I'm sure management is dicking around with serious candidates, who get turned off by the crap that's being pulled.

7. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

... posted again today:

Company: Antelope Valley Press
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: August 4, 2011
    Job ID: 1223078

Description:

Opportunity to Make your Mark. The Sports Editor we seek will be a dynamic professional who understands that local and prep are key to delivering a vital community sports section that also delivers in a suburb of Los Angeles, one of the nation's largest sports markets. Our Sports Editor will be a planner who can communicate a vision and inspire others while getting the work done. You will lead a talented young staff of a half-dozen plus assistant editors and understand that a local newspaper we are proud of is our core product. The successful candidate will have an eye for design and a grasp of a diverse sports report that includes community and youth sports. Our writers, photographers and editors win numerous awards and we require a seasoned sports journalist with initiative, creativity and a desire to build on solid achievement. The Antelope Valley Press sports section earned best overall in its circulation class in the most recent California Newspaper Publisher Association better newspapers contest. Our community daily in the fastest growing region of Southern California added pages and features while others cut back. Our compensation is competitive, benefits excellent, standards high. Our location, 90 minutes from the beach with close access to mountain winter and outdoor sports, offers great Southern California geography. To apply, send resume, clips, and references to Antelope Valley Press, P.O. Box 4050, Palmdale, CA 93590-4050 or e-mail to personnel@avpress.com.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I've worked one of Toby's old jobs once before. Maybe they are waiting for me to apply...

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Six staffers, two ASEs and a sports editor all for a paper with 21K circulation? What. the. hell.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Market is 475k, so 21k circulation is a very low figure. Maybe they are positioning for future growth.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What are you considering the "market" there?

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The market is primarily Palmdale-Lancaster, which combine for the 475,000 figure. And Brian and Stitch are pretty much both spot on. They apparently won't settle for anything less than Toby ... which sounds great, because it's good to raise the bar.

But when you can't find a suitable candidate in this economy n five rounds of interviews, then maybe you're the problem and it's time for a little self-reflection.

Draft saved Draft deleted