1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Antelope Valley Press, Palmdale, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Company: Antelope Valley Press
    Position: Seek star sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: December 22, 2010
    Job ID: 1213997

Description:
    The Antelope Valley Press sports section earned best overall in its circulation class in the most recent California Newspaper Publisher Association better newspapers contest. The sports editor we seek will be a dynamic news professional who grasps that local and prep is key to delivering a vital community sports section, in an area that also demands a regional and national report in one of the nation's biggest sports markets. Our community daily in the fastest growing region of Southern California grew while others cut back. Our sports editor will be someone sure-handed with a talented staff of a half-dozen plus an assistant editor. Required is a newsroom leader with an eye for design, who has a grasp of a diverse sports report that includes community youth sports. Our writers, photographers and editors win a lot awards and we require a seasoned sports journalist with experience, initiative, creativity and a desire to build on solid achievement. Our compensation is competitive, benefits excellent. Our location, 90 minutes from the beach with close access to mountain winter and outdoor sports, offers great Southern California geography. To apply, send resume, clips, and references to Antelope Valley Press, P.O. Box 4050, Palmdale, CA 93590-4050 or e-mail to personnel@avpress.com.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What up with Toby?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exact same thought.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Does anyone know their circ?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ditto. (But not in a Limbaugh sort of way).

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'll echo the question, where's Toby going?

7. nmsports

nmsports Member

Any idea, ballpark, what something like this might pay?

8. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

21,675 via wikipedia

9. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

It was a difficult decision to leave the Antelope Valley, but I have been fortunate to be considered for some opportunities in the Midwest and will be relocating.

I will answer questions about the position via PM. Interested parties can feel free to let me know, and I can also forward information on to the hiring editors. I think the section is in a good position, and I would like to see someone come in who can maintain things and take it to the next level. For a paper of its size, the resources are very good (an assistant SE, an associate SE, three full-time prep writers, a juco beat writer, an outdoors/prep writer and columnist Brian Golden) and space is plentiful for the goal of producing a comprehensive sports report of local, L.A. and national news.

I liked the people in the newsroom, loved the challenge and liked what we accomplished.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Always had a lot of respect for Toby and I'm sure he'll do well. California is just getting too expensive to live in on a journalist's salary.

11. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Circ was 28,000 when this position came open a couple of years ago.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

best of luck toby.

Draft saved Draft deleted