1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Anniston (Ala.) Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by busuncle, Dec 6, 2006.

1. busuncle

busuncle Member

The Anniston Star, an award-winning 27,000-circulation a.m. daily in northeast Alabama, has an editor position open in the Sports Department.

We’re seeking someone who can direct coverage of big-league college and high school sports, write a riveting gamer on deadline, dig up insightful enterprise stories and help develop the skills of a great sports staff. Applicants should be good planners and solid writers with a creative eye for out-of-the-box page designs.

You may e-mail cover letters and resumes to acook@annistonstar.com, but please send examples of your work to Managing Editor Anthony Cook, 4305 McClellan Blvd., Anniston, AL 36202.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=709785

2. boots

boots New Member

Interesting. What happened to Scott? I believe the second in command is fairly new and green so that might be why he's not assuming the top job.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Read the board, bootsie... Anderson, SC...

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Maybe it's me, but the ad reads pretty vague. It just says it has an opening for "an editor position." Could that mean that either (sports editor or asst. sports editor) is open?

Aside from that, what does anyone know about the paper?

5. busuncle

busuncle Member

That's a good point. I just noticed that the title of the ad on journalismjobs.com read only "Editor."

The Star has an in-house candidate, so this might be for the ase gig. Strange that the ad is so vague.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I know an in-house guy there really well.
    He came to work there after Jimmy Creed arrived as the new editor a few years back. The paper has a big commitment to NASCAR, staffing 2 Talladega races there each year.
    Creed loved NASCAR but left after a relatively short stint.
    The paper has beat writers who cover Bama, Aubie and Jacksonville State.
    Preps has over 50 schools in the overall zone that it watches.
    Some are more remote and not as heavily done, but there is a good core which has to be worked week after week.
    College beat writers rarely cover prep games, unless they volunteer. Playoffs allows for more bylines from those staffers, though.
    And everyone shares desk duties. Lots of times there's only one or two staffers working on a given night. So the desk likely causes disdain from time to time.
    I can't speak for the overall morale at the paper. I simply don't know.
    People are occasionally sent to staff Braves games, too. But not all that often.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Don't know about sports, but news side, that's one of the top papers of its size in the U.S. They've been honored by Editor and Publisher. A stint there would look real good on a resume...

8. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

I personally love the Anniston/Jacksonville area.
    Plus, one of their writers is one of my favorite people in the biz who has a multitude of stories to keep you entertained.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, but he also frowned on his staff reading this site... can you imagine?!

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

That would be PIDDLING, sir, and Creed simply WILL NOT ALLOW THAT! :)

rb

11. boots

boots New Member

Where did Jimmy end up?

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

why?

Draft saved Draft deleted