1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Ames, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SCEditor, Aug 14, 2009.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

It's been filled...and bummer not by me...I was excited about this one, too

2. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Thanks flex. DRAT, DRAT and DOUBLE DRAT!!! Wish I had gone for it. ... Got a name on who the lucky person is?

3. flexmaster33

Nope...just an e-mail response that the process was a bit delayed as they decided how much $$$ they could throw at the position, and that it had since been filled.

4. Fastball34

Fastball34 New Member

I believe they hired within. The guy who covered Iowa State football and women's basketball the last two years. Here is the link to the story of him being hired.

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2009/11/12/ames_tribune/sports/doc4afa3b8a3333c459079252.txt

5. bpoindexter

Thanks Fastball. ... I guess this means an upcoming vacancy for a writer.

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

These days, that's not a given.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Story says he's hiring a writer. It also says he'll cover Cyclones football and men's basketball, which would be quite a full plate to run a department as well.

8. bpoindexter

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if that full plate would just a temporary thing. At this point they probably wouldn't be able to get a new writer on board until sometime in December, so have La Gesse cover men's hoops while the new person gets up to speed, then decide after the season is over how to do things.
    I got to cover a couple of FB games at ISU and one basketball game, pretty nice campus. Football had a relaxed atmosphere for a D-1 school, hill beside one end zone where kids could play around.

10. flexmaster33

So looking at the story link, I'm led to believe one of his main attributes was going out and buying a new suit?

Not meant as a slam on LeGasse...Kudos for hiring within, but the introduction story seems silly.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I bet Ames has a great selection at Wal-Mart. I just hope the joke tag still wasn't on the suit.

It seems this paper likes its SE's young.

Draft saved Draft deleted